Recommendations for winter unmentionables?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Recommendations for winter unmentionables?

Postby JuneBug » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 am

17 winters in southwestern Colorado, and my two favorite weapons were long-john bottoms and the strongest ginger tea possible. For some reason, the bottoms have an amplifying factor--I could have a ton of layers on top, but if no long-john bottoms on under my jeans, I'd still be cold. In that dry cold, the heavier thermal cotton bottoms from WalMart worked fine, but these days I'd go for the polyester/spandex kind, with some kind of de-stink treatment.
If you really want to stay warm and you are out all day, nothing beats lined Carhart coveralls.

Now for the ginger tea: grate up a big piece (thumb sized or a bit smaller) of fresh juicy ginger root. Put in a cup and pour boiling water on top. Steep for five or 10 minutes or so. Strain out the ginger. Drink. Should feel like strong whiskey going down. Cough. Gasp. Ahhhh. :thumbsup:
For some reason this really helped with the cold. Some of you are probably thinking, "Why mess with ginger when you could go straight to strong whiskey?"
I don't drink so you'll have to sort that one out on your own. :)
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Kody » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:06 am

Wow! things are so different over there in the US. I lived there in Ohio for almost 7 years and yep, it was cold. My (US) wife thought I was nuts as I would get dressed in the winter wearing only a pair of jeans, short sox and gym boots, a fleecy cotton shirt and a jacket. "Well" I would drawl in my best Aussie accent, "the cold isn't too bad 'cos I can move around in these clothes and you can always snuggle me if I get as cold as you think I am". Over down here, we have just left winter and it's now Spring. The nights are cool to cold (48F) so it's not too bad.The winter here at the tropic of Capricorn can become totally unbearable with the temp. dropping to 40F. around 2:00 am. It dropped down to 38F one winter and that simply horrid! During the winter here, I wore a pair of jeans all day and a cotton short sleeved shirt plus a jumper. When I was younger (around 30'ish) I wore a pair of cotton shorts all year. Now that I'm 70, I am feeling the cold and wear jeans all day and a super warm jacket that I bought in the US. My "early warning radar" is not not working as it used too so I tend to bash my head a lot more than I ever did a few years ago. The impacts have been softened by wearing a warm thick knitted beanie. I can't wear anything made of wool, I am allergic to wool and have been since I was born which is why I wear cotton or some of the synthetics that are very soft. When the temp drops down to 55F I start the wood burner up and it heats the entire house to 80F minimum and it's so nice and cosy. At the moment, the temp here in the house is a cool 74F. It could be a lot worse.
:snow
Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Re:

Postby coop74 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Ditch the old style cotton long johns and look for a synthetic (or silk) base layer. I don't buy the expensive stuff...the last couple years Marcia and I have been wearing an off the shelf Costco Brand called Paradox which is labled 92% polyester, 8% spandex..whatever that means!
:thumbsup:

it means that what the textile companies tried to do for years finally caught on... Polyester has been around for a long time but folks prefered cotton. With a good bit of hype marketing folks are finally buying into polyester. The Spandex is there for stretch and return characteristics. Based on the numbers you posted it is probably in the base of the fabric so it actually never really touches your skin.

The Textile worlld has come a long long way...

PS coton is still a great fabric, Wool too... how can hundreds of thousands of sheep be wrong.

Big Coop
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Alpaca socks, scarfs and gloves. My wife has very sensitive skin and can get a rash just from a tag rubbing her wrong. Wool? Forget it.

We went to an Alpaca farm open house recently, and apparently Alpaca fibers are hollow, have no lanolin like wool so are hypoallergenic, and are incredibly soft. She had been gifted a pair of Alpaca socks and wears them to bed exclusively. (She has genetically poor circulation and is therefore always cold at her extremities.) Swears by them.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Bobcape » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby catinmoon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Smartwool undergarments are a bit pricey but for my $$ worth their weight in gold.
not itchy, lightweight, will keep you warm.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby ladyliz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Our local Target carried fleece long johns last winter. They are sooo comfy! Silk + Fleece + overpants = toasty legs :lol:
ladyliz
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets