TD Harley Hauler

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

TD Harley Hauler

Postby wmercier » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 pm

Just registered here and also ordered a set of Desert TD Trailer plans. Went with Desert Teardrop based on a modification I saw of their design that gives dual purpose to the TD as both a basic camper as well as a motorcycle trailer. Got a few questions if someone would willingly step up and lend a bit of info and/or advice.
1. Is anyone aware of any other teardrops that are modified for hauling a MC? Would like to see all the variations and ideas that I might incorporate.
2. I will be hauling a HD Road King which weighs in at about 800 lbs. Would one of the Harbor Freight trailers work or do I need to go to a constructed heavier duty frame? Am thinking of using one to the torsion type axles if frame is custom built. Any thoughts?
3. Any advice on frame material sizes, axle limits etc with the understanding that this TD will be very basic but will be hauling a touring motorcycle.
4. I love the old style 40’s type fenders. I’m sure these are probably glass repos but what are they patterned after?

Sure glad to find this group. This will be my first ever project of this type and it will be nice to have somewhere to turn should I hit a snag and need a little question answered. Hopefully at some point I can repay with some of my talents.
Regards
WR
wmercier
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:31 pm

W, welcome to the board...we will try to help ya out as much as we can...I hope you have a good sense of humor since we all tend to be a bit twisted around here...

I would skip the HF trailer, even the heavy duty version would be heading to the light side for your needs...you should always try to have a 50% overlad capacity on your spring set-up...

I would get a torsion axle in the 3000# range and have it derated to about 2400#s for your usage...

there is a regular debate about torsion versus spring but the torsion axle is hard to beat for hi-way usage and give a much smoother ride than springs alone

have a custom frame made using 2"x1/8th tube and goto 3/16th on a "A" or "Y" style tongue...

we used KIT repo fenders from RWJohnson, they are copied from old Chevy truck fenders, there are also Ford repos, Li'll Bear, RWJohson and Aeroglass are a few of the suppliers of these fenders

checkout "Rich's list" and "links" at the top of page for suppliers of all things TD related

we do charge for all the free advice you can get here and that charge is pictures...we luv da pics and some of us are downright obsessed with them...so have fun and take lots of pics...'cause we luv da pics :D (see I warned ya about obsessions)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby s4son » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 pm

WR,
Here are a few pics I snagged of E-Bay when this fella was selling his trailer. It was really set up nicely.

Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:27 pm

s4son wrote:WR,
Here are a few pics I snagged of E-Bay when this fella was selling his trailer. It was really set up nicely.

Woah.... what a nice design. Just using it as a regular tear, that opens it right up, so when you're camping it becomes a walk in....
:thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

TD Harley Hauler

Postby wmercier » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:02 am

First off my sincere thanks to MadJack for the info and the warm welcome. I will definitely be loading you up on pictures of my project when I get it underway. I am very adept at web page graphics as I currently write and maintain about 35 web sites in my old age retirement.

I am an accomplished antique auto restorer as well as a streetrod builder. I have also restored aircraft and even built one that has been flying for many years. I know my way around a shop and can weld as well as having a complete woodworking shop in my basement. What I haven’t done is build one of these TD campers. From the looks of the project, it does not appear that complicated. One ace in the hole I have is my best friend owns a large RV dealership so I have an unlimited resource to his parts suppliers and their catalogs as well as his service department. The one thing I learned a long time ago is that it’s better to ask the questions before a mistake rather then make the mistake and ask how to correct it. To that extent I am so very happy to meet up with you all. Learning, contributing and making new friends with a mutual interest is what it’s all about.

s4son
Those are some excellent pictures of what I had in mind for my project and opens up some very good ideas. The project I am contemplating only ran the roof up to the approximate side door and utilized a snap on convertible top that covered the TD the balance of the top. This one appears to have the top run back to a hinged rear entry door. I like that much better as it affords the unit much more structural strength. You wouldn’t happen to have any exterior views of this TD would you? I’d love to see the proportions on this camper.

Thanks again all for making me welcomed. I know I am going to enjoy associating with this group.
WR
wmercier
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:38 am

http://www.eastcoast-teardrop.com/
Here is a link to the kind of trailer you may be looking for.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:48 am

Somebody asked me to look at exactly this idea and I have to say it's not that easy - any Harley is quite big. Here is a 'standard' Kampmaster (12' long body, 4' high body, 6' wide) with a similar Harley (not a Road King) overlaid to scale:

In many ways the Kampmaster is an ideal trailer - it's quite large, the lifting roof means access is good and the galley is already laid out with a walk-through centre. However the size of the bike means that it has to be quite a big trailer - my scaling says that this Harley is exactly 96" long and 46" from the ground to the handlebars, so it needs more height than a standard teardrop- that East Coast teardrop must have 5' high sides as well as its folding ramp in the floor.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

TD Harley Hauler

Postby wmercier » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:23 am

BrwBier
Thanks for the link. This is the concept I am after without the big associated price tag. Besides, I’d like to build it myself. I sure see some novel innovations that would be well worth a possible inclusion. Thanks again for sharing this with me and the group.

Angib
Thanks for sharing your profile rendering overlay. I have already did some measurements on my Harley and pretty much came to the same conclusion as to the interior height. Due to the larger touring bikes bulk, I had pretty much ruled out most cabinets and have contented myself with a pretty sparse interior. I think the height is another reason the Desert TD Trailer plans chose to go with a roll up convertible top rather then a built structure. As you noted, a fixed overhead would mean a minimum of 5 feet interior height for loading and unloading and that would be very close. One of my other concerns is the weight distribution. With the usual placement of the axle, I am concerned the effect on the tongue weight with an 800 pound motorcycle that much forward of the axle. Any comments on this anyone?

Thanks again for this profile overlay. It is very interesting and addresses points that will definitely have to be considered to make this project work.
WR
wmercier
Donating Member

Postby s4son » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:23 am

Here are some pics of the outside. It almost looks like it is fabric covered on the sides. Does anyone remember the details of this trailer. It was really nicely finished.

Image[/img]
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Re: TD Harley Hauler

Postby angib » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:35 am

wmercier wrote:With the usual placement of the axle, I am concerned the effect on the tongue weight with an 800 pound motorcycle that much forward of the axle. Any comments on this anyone?

You have to design the trailer to work in both loaded and empty conditions, so you have no choice about where the bike goes - it has to be stowed so that its centre of gravity is 10-15% of the trailer 'wheelbase' (axle to hitch length) forward of the axle. This means it will add hitch weight in proportion to the increase in total trailer weight. You can increase that 10-15% if you have a big tow vehicle that doesn't notice one or two hundred pounds extra hitch weight, but you can't reduce it. The bike is shown in the illustration above at 10%.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Gage » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:58 pm

s4son wrote:Here are some pics of the outside. It almost looks like it is fabric covered on the sides. Does anyone remember the details of this trailer. It was really nicely finished.

The sides are creased alum. and the tear also has air bags so it can be lowered and rased as needed.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques