Ok, HF Trailer not Finished

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Ok, HF Trailer not Finished

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:45 am

After going over the plans and doing more research I have dropped the axel back out of the trailer. One question I have is what is the purpose of having the axel mount on top of the spring ? Is it for less air resistance over the top of the trailer?

I noticed once I removed one of the axel supports the frame started to sag where the two halves are joined, not good. :thumbdown: I'll have to move only a small amount in order to maintain strength between the two halves. Still will be able to move a good bit though. I havn't made the cut out in the axel support yet, waiting on yall's imput as to the reasoning behind this cut. :?

Last edited by SkipperSue on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Re: Ok, HF Trailer not Finished

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:04 pm

SkipperSue wrote:After going over the plans and doing more research I have dropped the axel back out of the trailer. One question I have is what is the purpose of having the axel mount on top of the spring ? Is it for less air resistance over the top of the trailer?

The primary reason for mounting your axle on top of the springs is to lower the trailer. If you look at teardrops of old, they were all very close to the ground. The only way to to that with a HF axle, without changing the axle, is to switch the mounting. Of course then you have to notch out the angle to give the axle some room to move...

SkipperSue wrote:I noticed once I removed one of the axel supports the frame started to sag where the two halves are joined, not good. :thumbdown: I'll have to move only a small amount in order to maintain strenght between the two halves. Still will be able to move a good bit though. I havn't made the cut out in the axel support yet, waiting on yall's imput as to the reasoning behind this cut. :?

This is the reason many people put the two channel pieces into the siderail. But do you need to? No. If you treat the teardrop body as a torsion box, and bolt the frame to the body, rather than bolt the body to the frame, then all your strength will come from the body.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Keep in mind if you put your axle over your spring you need to put new spring seats on. You can't just turn the axle over on the seats.
You can also grind the ones on it off and reuse them.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Nitetimes wrote:Keep in mind if you put your axle over your spring you need to put new spring seats on. You can't just turn the axle over on the seats.

Is this still necessary with a straight axle? I can understand if he was using a drop axle, but I'm not quite following the reason for moving the spring pads on his straight axle. Or maybe I'm overlooking something...
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:35 pm

Actually, I've gotten away with just mounting to the open face of the channel instead of the closed end of the channel.

I didn't do that on my EH, but let me go out and get a picture of the axle anyways...

Okay, here is a picture of the standard mounting, underneath the spring. It's easy enough to imagine the axle on top of the spring, with the u-bolts and the plate flipped upside down...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Keep in mind if you put your axle over your spring you need to put new spring seats on. You can't just turn the axle over on the seats.

Sorry but when I read this it just didn't make any sense. :? :? :?
So I had to find out. I did have to reverse the bolt holding the spring pac together and cutout the axel support.

Looks like it will work to me. Am I missing something? :?

Last edited by SkipperSue on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:27 pm

Skip & All who are participating here:

Can I ask a question please?
The pictures here are very informative:

Speaking generally ... with all these neat pictures showing.
What would one do to move back the axle to accomidate Andrew's weight
distribution figures
as well as the door issues that have been talked about
before? That is do you add some iron to the frame and move the springs?

Maybe you aren't going to move your axle?

Should you consider doing an axle move at this time if you were going to?
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:45 pm

I have moved the axel back about 7" right now just to see if I could. I havn't actually secured it yet as I need to make sure I have it right, it's just held in place with clamps right now. There is still about 3" of the axel support covering the two halves of the trailer so if I go with where it is right now the strength won't be an issue :)
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:45 pm

That looks like it should work just fine...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Skip:

Not seeing exactly where or how you moved the axle back... Is the axle
brace held on by two carriage bolts? How did you slide it back again?
Drill holes in the existing angle iron or slide the whole axle angle back on
the frame? Maybe you have shown it here in pic's but I am not seeing it
plainly?

Thanks for the explanation.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:55 pm

IF, you have a perfectly straight axle, you can just flip it over...however most axles have just the slightest of bows and that bow ABSOLUTELY has to point upwards...if you flip it over it will point downwards...do not rely on your eyes alone...take a staight edge and lay it on the alxe to see if it has a bow in it....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Kevin A » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:06 pm

madjack wrote:IF, you have a perfectly straight axle, you can just flip it over...however most axles have just the slightest of bows and that bow ABSOLUTELY has to point upwards...if you flip it over it will point downwards...do not rely on your eyes alone...take a staight edge and lay it on the alxe to see if it has a bow in it....
madjack 8)

Doh... :? :oops: Of course you're right, Jack. I even know better. I'll go crawl back in my hole now..... ;) :lol:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:20 pm

This time it's finished for real! :applause: :applause:
I ended up having to move the axel back 5 3/4". It sits alot lower now too.

Steve, I took a couple more pics. In them I made a black mark ahead of the axel support where it was originally. I just slid the support back and had to drill new holes. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be in the begining. :R

Right behind the black mark, towards the tire you can see the original hole the support would have used. I hope that clears it up. :yes: :ok:
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Steve,

Typically, to reposition an axle on a HF Trailer simply means slide the angle back on the chassis, drill some new holes, and bolt it up.

There are some gotcha though, depending on your trailer and how far you want to move it. You might find something in the way, and have to do some metal cutting to get things to fit. Reference Tom Swenson's build.

You might find that your folding trailer is not very strong, and choose to put the center channels into the side rails to make it rigid again. Reference many of the Cubby builds here

Finally, here is a picture of the part of the trailer that you will slide along the chassis to obtain your correct axle location...

Mike...

P.S. Edit: Yea, Skip, that's exactly it!!! Nice job!

sdtripper2 wrote:Skip & All who are participating here:

Speaking generally ... with all these neat pictures showing.
What would one do to move back the axle to accomidate Andrew's weight
distribution figures
Last edited by mikeschn on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby forestfrog » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:40 pm

This time it's finished for real!

Looks great, Skip!! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets