Harrison Baked Onions

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Harrison Baked Onions

Postby SkipperSue » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:32 am

First off, I've never used a Dutch oven. I hope to change this soon, I think this recipie would do well in one. :)

I had an old high school friend I grew up with who liked to go camping alot. He drowned a little over 2 years ago in his Fathers lake, I miss him alot. :cry:

He used to make this onion dish that I just loved, I named them after his memory.

Take several onions and peel them all. Cut the top and bottom "tuff parts" and from the top, core it out to about one inch or so in diameter. Make the core about 1 1/2 inches deep.
Take a whole bullion <sp?> cube, chicken or beef and stuff that down in there. Now take butter or margarine and pack that down in the hole over the bullion cube. Now we used to do them on a grill. We would wrap each one up with aluminum foil and set them on the grill. Bake for around 30 mins or so. Good stuff! :R For a Dutch oven, I guess you could line the bottom with onions and then put some foil over that and make a new level? I guess it depends on how many you make. :D
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Re: Harrison Baked Onions

Postby Joanne » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:32 pm

Skip,

It's hard to lose a friend. I think it's great that you name the dish after him. I'm an onion lover so it sounds really good. Kind of like French Onion Soup with out the soup. I might slip a garlic clove or two in with the bouillon and let it bake. (Two of my favorite foods, onion and garlic. I wonder if that's why I'm single?!?).

Joanne

SkipperSue wrote:First off, I've never used a Dutch oven. I hope to change this soon, I think this recipie would do well in one. :)

I had an old high school friend I grew up with who liked to go camping alot. He drowned a little over 2 years ago in his Fathers lake, I miss him alot. :cry:

He used to make this onion dish that I just loved, I named them after his memory.

Take several onions and peel them all. Cut the top and bottom "tuff parts" and from the top, core it out to about one inch or so in diameter. Make the core about 1 1/2 inches deep.
Take a whole bullion <sp?> cube, chicken or beef and stuff that down in there. Now take butter or margarine and pack that down in the hole over the bullion cube. Now we used to do them on a grill. We would wrap each one up with aluminum foil and set them on the grill. Bake for around 30 mins or so. Good stuff! :R For a Dutch oven, I guess you could line the bottom with onions and then put some foil over that and make a new level? I guess it depends on how many you make. :D
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:05 am

mmmmmmm yummmmm..... I don't like raw onions, but like them grilled or baked, etc.... Maybe I'll try this for LCG next week!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:56 pm

This might be a good use for the 5in Dutch Oven. Just put one big onion in there and cook it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby rbeemer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Oh Thanks for making that suggestion, now I will never be able to find one since everybody will want altleast 1 :lol: :cry: :( :roll:
I can see it now a whole field of little DOs all having onions cooked in them ;) :R
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Outlaw » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Tried this yesterday while making the Cheesy Beer Bread in the other thread. Joanne, you hit it right on the head with your description of French Onion Soup. Only I didn't add any cheese. I used a sweet onion, my apple corer, removed the core, chopped it down, and plugged the bottom of the onion. Followed directions as above, simple! Definately for an onion lover. Thanks for posting the recipe!
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby SkipperSue » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:22 am

I have never used the chicken bullion cubes but I think there wouldn't be much difference. This is a very simple recipie, but tasty! :thumbsup:
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby KA » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi Skip,
What a nice way to remember your friend. I bet he is smiling to think of a recipe, enjoyed by friends around a campfire, dedicated to his memory.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby SkipperSue » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:31 am

KA wrote:Hi Skip,
What a nice way to remember your friend. I bet he is smiling to think of a recipe, enjoyed by friends around a campfire, dedicated to his memory.
Kris :)

My friend, David Douglas Harrison, never had a name for these onions. He was into deer hunting alot, even used a big @$$ hand gun to bag them. He would many times bring over some of his deer meat and we would have a cook out. He would marinade it in Ted Nugent's Marinade, Yummm! it was great!
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1