Propane Burner Problem

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Propane Burner Problem

Postby CPASPARKS » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:58 am

Does anyone ever have the problem that they think that their propane burner(s) on their camp stoves do not burn clean or steady?

Sometimes my propane burners on my camp stoves (I have three different styles) seem to sputter or not appear to be burning at their intended efficiency.

If they need to be cleaned....how or what do you do to clean them with?
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:29 pm

Kevin,

I haven't had any troubles with my propane stove, but I have with some small propane heaters that I use in my garage. Seems spiders like to get in them and build web/nests in there and it restricts the flow of air that mixes with the propane before it gets to the burner. Take a look in the tubing after the jet to make sure no insects have moved in there.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:44 pm

Kevin, I too have a couple of different style propane stoves and everytime I have had problems such as you have described it has been due to bugs/spiders/insects making a home in the burner or burner tube...I have taken to blowing some air back thru them and cleaning them out before usage to take care of such problems...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:34 pm

well, the scoutmaster had a coleman 2 burner that would turn the pot on the right burner black on the bottom..
one campout, while he wasn't looking, I dis-assembled the burner all the way down to the knob..didn't find any spiders or bugs in the tube, but did find some crud built up on the orifice itself..I used a piece of broom straw to push the crap out the tiny hole and lo & behold, put it back together and no more soot..it's amazing what a guy can do with a schrade multi-tool.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Camping Secrets