1/4 Nelson const. pics posted at last!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

1/4 Nelson const. pics posted at last!

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:18 pm

My latest effort to construct a super-lightweight teardrop can be seen in my album/personal gallery if anyone is interested. These pics are a result of about 2 1/2 weeks of effort of the building process that was interupted by a move from one house to another. All that is lacking is the installation of the doors, sanding and filling the exterior, slapping on some paint and installing the stop, turn and tail lights.

So far, the wooden portion, weighed on a bathroom scale, tops out at 95 lbs. The 4 ft HF frame with all but one spring leaf removed and with the removable tongue in place, weighs in at just under 150 lbs, making a total weight before the installation of paper cups and plates, at just about 250 pounds, total. No jack is required to change tires, since one wheel can be lifted off of the ground with one hand. Check out my Alubum to observe the progress. Any comments?

Roly, planning on Minden unless life problems dictate differently.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:31 pm

Good pictures Roly,

Thanks!!! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby guinnessgrey » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:30 pm

I have a Chevy Aveo, and with the hitch they sell for it, I can pull 1000 lbs it says. This seems like the perfect size and weight for my car to pull, Aveos aren't too fast to begin with, I just need something big enough for me and my dog to sleep in, everything else can stay in the trunk of the car.
guinnessgrey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:36 pm

Roly, I really like your use of teardrop shapes continuing below the chassis. It has a real nice flow to it, very easy on the eyes. I'm assuming that flat top fender is only temporary and will be replaced with a teardrop shaped one like in your mock-up. This will be a sweet looking mini TD :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Oh that's right 1/2 dome, I must build teardrop shaped fenders to finish the project. I hope it will look something like the cardboard shape.

Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:04 pm

Good job on the stackers Roly...I think there is going to be a lot of interest in small ultra lights like this...lots of people with small tow vehicles, nice looking profile too!!...Thanks for the pics...Doug :thumbsup:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kens » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:45 pm

I love the 1/4 stacker. Perfect for a fast short trip may be my next tear. :thumbsup:
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Claw » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:57 pm

Simplicity with style! A great trailer for the single who want a trailer to contain the essentials. :applause:
Your craftsmanship is priceless but do you have an expected completed cost of included materials?
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

fun and Pleasing

Postby Guy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:11 pm

Dear Roly,

The Stacker2 looks like you are having fun building it. It is very pleasing on the eye.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi Claw, Loves Park, Rock river, Rock Cut SP......all bring back memories. I went to Harlem HS, class of 50, lived on Illinois St. for 20 years.

To answer you question about the approximate cost, here is a fairly complete material list for the 1/4 Nelson Stacker:

HF frame, 3ft hc door, 8' 2x4, 2 1/4"ply, 3 1/8" ply, 2 1x2 pine, 4 piano hinges, tongue, glue, screws, 12v wire, int lt fixture, door locks, wood primer, varnish, ext paint, 1/2" baltic birch and roofing mastic. All told that comes to $430 bucks. Throw in 20 bucks for misc things I forgot and it looks like it could be built for $450 or so.

Roly Nelson, the displaced Illinoian, who left for So Calif when he found out it didn't snow out here. Route 66 HO, on honeymoon trip.
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Jimbo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:21 am

Roly Nelson wrote: 3ft hc door

Please forgive my ignorance but, what's a 3ft hc door?
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Kevin A » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:28 am

Jimbo wrote:
Roly Nelson wrote: 3ft hc door

Please forgive my ignorance but, what's a 3ft hc door?

It's a 3 foot wide, hollow core door.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:40 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Hi Claw, Loves Park, Rock river, Rock Cut SP......all bring back memories. I went to Harlem HS, class of 50, lived on Illinois St. for 20 years.

To answer you question about the approximate cost, here is a fairly complete material list for the 1/4 Nelson Stacker:

HF frame, 3ft hc door, 8' 2x4, 2 1/4"ply, 3 1/8" ply, 2 1x2 pine, 4 piano hinges, tongue, glue, screws, 12v wire, int lt fixture, door locks, wood primer, varnish, ext paint, 1/2" baltic birch and roofing mastic. All told that comes to $430 bucks. Throw in 20 bucks for misc things I forgot and it looks like it could be built for $450 or so.

Roly Nelson, the displaced Illinoian, who left for So Calif when he found out it didn't snow out here. Route 66 HO, on honeymoon trip.

I have already said how totally cute this is so I will just ask a goofy question... What is the 1/2" Baltic Birch for???
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:44 am

Jimbo, sorry about that, I guess that is construction talk. Standard slab doors are either solid core, (very heavy, good and solid and more expensive, usually used on exterior openings), or they are hollow core, (very light, have a honeycomb interior core, are used primarily for interior openings and are a lot cheaper).

Hence, SC= solid core door & HC= hollow core door. That is what my teardrop floor is made of. Not very strong, you can punch your fist through it if you are mad enough, but I never stand on my floor, just sit or lay on it with a mattress to spread the weight. To bolt the edges to the 40" wide frame, I screwed and glued 2" solid wood members to it, which also brings the 36" wide door to a full 40". Black roof mastic protects the bottom, which I suppose could be punctured by a monster rock (or a roadside bomb).

Roly ~~
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:41 am

I have these pictures from Spamboree 2005
It is almost as cute as Roly's dog......

Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Next

Return to General Discussion