I just today, ran into a minor problem that could have been a much bigger problem if I hadn't bit the bullet and fixed it. I was almost tempted to let it go, but I'm glad that I didn't.
When I ordered my Dexter Torflex axle, I also ordered the mounting brackets that are required to mount the Torflex to square tubing. When I started welding up my frame, I used a tape measure and framing square to plot the locations for the axle brackets. I got them dead perfect. (you know the old carpenter's adage: "measure twice, cut once?" Well I measured twice and zapped em in good with the welder. And they WERE correct.... Honest.
The problem came when I went to mount the axle. Dexter is a little sloppy with the flanges on the axles and they were supposed to meet up with the brackets that I welded on, but there was just a little bit of run out. It was just enough to cause me to have to push and tug and pull and beat on it with a hammer. Once I got it onto the frame, lo and behold, the axle was riding about 7/16s of an inch off centered to the right and the left wheel would have been about 3/8 of an inch ahead of the right wheel. This means that the trailer would never track correctly going down the road. Also, one tire would have been running real close to the fender lip while the other tire would have a heck of lot more room than it was supposed to. So I now have a decision to make. When I weld, I weld for keeps and getting those brackets off was NOT going to be easy but to let this go would be an irritation from now on, JUST KNOWING that it wasn't right. So, in the end, the brackets HAD to come back off. And who knows, maybe I honestly DID make a mistake but it's always better to double check.
It took me a little while of cutting and grinding between the die grinder and the angle grinder but eventually, they popped right off. Now it was a simple task of bolting the brackets to the axle and setting the axle down onto the frame. Once I measured twice and made sure the axle was perfectly true and centered, I tack welded the brackets back on. Finally, I removed the axle to get it out of the way for a complete weld. When I finished, I put the axle back on to check for fit. It was PERFECT! I love it.
The funny thing though, is that the brackets looked to be in the exact same places they were before. But I can tell you, they definately weren't.
Keep this in mind if you're using a Dexter Torflex on your project. Mount the brackets to the axle and then locate the axle.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.