Home made LED Reading Light

Anything electric, AC or DC

Home made LED Reading Light

Postby Dee Bee » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:08 pm

Here is a link to my LED reading light project page.

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/12%20V%20LED%20Light.htm

I have plans for another light that uses a few more LEDs for better illumination. Although this is OK

Comments welcome

DEE
Grace happens...
User avatar
Dee Bee
500 Club
 
Posts: 696
Images: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: York, PA

Postby DANL » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:17 pm

Here is a nice potential housing for an LED reading light. Just take out the current guts and install your own LED setup. Of course, one could just leave it as is. I have one of these and find that the beam does not disperse as widely as I would like--pretty good though. LEDs would offer better light dispersion.

Image

You can get these at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-4131
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
User avatar
DANL
Donating Member
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: Plymouth MN

Postby asianflava » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:55 pm

What was the white wire for?
User avatar
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club
 
Posts: 8410
Images: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:11 am
Location: CO, Longmont
Top

White wire

Postby Dee Bee » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:19 pm

asianflava wrote:What was the white wire for?


The white wire is what gives physical support to the lamp housing. The wire is stiff enough to hold the light where you aim it. It has no electrical function.

DEE
Grace happens...
User avatar
Dee Bee
500 Club
 
Posts: 696
Images: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: York, PA
Top

Light Dispersion

Postby Dee Bee » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:58 pm

DANL wrote: I have one of these and find that the beam does not disperse as widely as I would like--pretty good though. LEDs would offer better light dispersion.



In my experience LED do not disperse as much as regular bulbs. They seem so bright because they focus the light in such a small pattern. What experience do others have?

DEE
Grace happens...
User avatar
Dee Bee
500 Club
 
Posts: 696
Images: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: York, PA
Top

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:14 pm

Hey Dee,
I bought a little head gear mounted light, for all those late night construction sites I seem to be frequenting lately. It's like a miner's light, has two different choices of lighting. (LED and Incandscent bulbs)
I don't even use the Incandescent setting now, because the LED puts out a better light to see by and gives me longer battery life. The only thing that took a little getting used to, was the blueish tint with the LED light.
Now if I could just figure out a way to not have work these crazy hours, I'd be set.
Handling glass and explaining what I'm doing, to cops at 3-4 in the morning is lots of fun. :CC
Guest
 
Top

Postby bdosborn » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:22 pm

Cool light. I added a link to your page on my LED light page. I'm just finishing up a LED light using the light bar from SuperBrightLEDs. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Image
Boxcar Build
User avatar
bdosborn
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4179
Images: 450
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: CO, Littleton
Top

Comparison Test of Cabin Lights

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:36 pm

bdosborn wrote:Cool light. I added a link to your page on my LED light page. I'm just finishing up a LED light using the light bar from SuperBrightLEDs. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Bruce


Would anyone consider doing the same test I did and posting the results by pic for comparison?

Place your LED 12 inches away froma grid of 1" squares and measure the spread of your LED beam. Also place the LED aray 12" waya from a phone book. I'd like to see the comparison.

DEE BEE
Grace happens...
User avatar
Dee Bee
500 Club
 
Posts: 696
Images: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: York, PA
Top

Re: Comparison Test of Cabin Lights

Postby bdosborn » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:57 pm

Dee Bee wrote:Would anyone consider doing the same test I did and posting the results by pic for comparison?

Place your LED 12 inches away froma grid of 1" squares and measure the spread of your LED beam. Also place the LED aray 12" waya from a phone book. I'd like to see the comparison.

DEE BEE


Here's a quick webpage showing the LED light bar in action.
http://home.comcast.net/~bdosborn/tear/LEDLightBar.html

Here's a link to some LED lights I made awhile back
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebdosborn/LED ... hting.html

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Image
Boxcar Build
User avatar
bdosborn
Donating Member
 
Posts: 4179
Images: 450
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: CO, Littleton
Top

Re: Comparison Test of Cabin Lights

Postby Dee Bee » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:55 pm

bdosborn wrote:
Dee Bee wrote:Would anyone consider doing the same test I did and posting the results by pic for comparison?

Place your LED 12 inches away froma grid of 1" squares and measure the spread of your LED beam. Also place the LED aray 12" waya from a phone book. I'd like to see the comparison.

DEE BEE


Here's a quick webpage showing the LED light bar in action.
http://home.comcast.net/~bdosborn/tear/LEDLightBar.html

Here's a link to some LED lights I made awhile back
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebdosborn/LED ... hting.html

Bruce



Great work. I like your results! Good light dispersion. Thanks for the comparison!

DEE
Grace happens...
User avatar
Dee Bee
500 Club
 
Posts: 696
Images: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: York, PA
Top


Return to Electrical Secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest