Need Hatch lock With Locking Rods Pictures

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Need Hatch lock With Locking Rods Pictures

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:03 am

I'm helping Heikki with his hatch lock and suggested the center lock with rods going to the side walls would be the easiest to install for his application. The more detailed pictures the better. Thanks, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Image
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
User avatar
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper
 
Posts: 5380
Images: 152
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:02 pm
Location: Washington , Pew-al-up

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:03 am

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
User avatar
sdtripper2
Search Garoux
 
Posts: 2162
Images: 168
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:32 am
Location: California, ... San Diego

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:18 am

I knew I could count on you Mr. Steve. :applause: ;) I was thinking of this kind it's the KISS that I'm after. :D Danny
Image
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Image
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
User avatar
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper
 
Posts: 5380
Images: 152
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:02 pm
Location: Washington , Pew-al-up
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Steve and Danny thanks.. :oops:

I took some inside photos of the interior to show what I have.

Image

Image

Kiss is the way to go.. :D :D :D

Classic Finn
Last edited by Classic Finn on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:23 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:I knew I could count on you Mr. Steve. :applause: ;) I was thinking of this kind it's the KISS that I'm after. :D Danny
Image


Danny is that the one that fits the T - Handle to it?

Heikki ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby Nobody » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Heikki, I used a locking bar mechanism & T-handle from an old P/U camper shell that I had. It wasn't being used so I scavenged it. Had to shorten the rods by about 1.5" each & that was actually the biggest problem I had. Those rods are 'hardened' & were a real b!tch to cut, especially with only a manually operated hacksaw ;) . After installing the T-handle & locking rods I turned the handle to retract the rods to 'open' position, marked the rods for correct length, took them off the T-handle & cut them while they were being held in a sturdy vise. Dressed the ends lightly with a file so they'd easier slide into the locking receptacle. After reinstalling the rods I smeared the very end of each with lipstick, closed the hatch & while holding the hatch down tightly, I turned the T-handle as if locking/latching the hatch, then turned the handle back to retract the rods. The lipstick left a very visible mark on the inside walls of the galley where the locking receptacle needed to be. I then simply drilled the appropriate sized hole to correct depth. I had enough room to then attach a large steel washer (with 3 screws countersunk) to reinforce each hole that receives the locking rods (I'd planned for this ahead of time so the galley walls at these points are solid wood all the wa thru to the aluminum skin). When my hatch is closed the rods extend almost an inch into the receptacle on either side of the galley. It was a simple, relatively easy install, well within Danny's K.I.S.S. parameters :thumbsup: Here's a few pix -

T-handle in closed postion
Image

Inside view of locking device
Image

Close-up of T-handle/rod connection w/rods in locked position
Image

Locking rod receptacle
Image

Showing how much of the rod actually extends into receptacle
Image
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
User avatar
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1197
Images: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:08 pm

Nobody wrote:Heikki, I used a locking bar mechanism & T-handle from an old P/U camper shell that I had. It wasn't being used so I scavenged it. Had to shorten the rods by about 1.5" each & that was actually the biggest problem I had. Those rods are 'hardened' & were a real b!tch to cut, especially with only a manually operated hacksaw ;) . After installing the T-handle & locking rods I turned the handle to retract the rods to 'open' position, marked the rods for correct length, took them off the T-handle & cut them while they were being held in a sturdy vise. Dressed the ends lightly with a file so they'd easier slide into the locking receptacle. After reinstalling the rods I smeared the very end of each with lipstick, closed the hatch & while holding the hatch down tightly, I turned the T-handle as if locking/latching the hatch, then turned the handle back to retract the rods. The lipstick left a very visible mark on the inside walls of the galley where the locking receptacle needed to be. I then simply drilled the appropriate sized hole to correct depth. I had enough room to then attach a large steel washer (with 3 screws countersunk) to reinforce each hole that receives the locking rods (I'd planned for this ahead of time so the galley walls at these points are solid wood all the wa thru to the aluminum skin). When my hatch is closed the rods extend almost an inch into the receptacle on either side of the galley. It was a simple, relatively easy install, well within Danny's K.I.S.S. parameters :thumbsup: Here's a few pix -

T-handle in closed postion
Image

Inside view of locking device
Image

Close-up of T-handle/rod connection w/rods in locked position
Image

Locking rod receptacle
Image

Showing how much of the rod actually extends into receptacle
Image


Hi Harvey

Thats about the exact system Im going to have to go with due to the radius on my hatch.. :thumbsup:

Today I went hunting all over and called a few places and came up empty handed..

I am looking over in England yet at a place that has been recommended by Andrew for other trailer parts named Indespension..

I saw one someplace there in the States but I cant remember where. It was somthing like Danny shows in his pic.

Thats about the only way I can think of to do it on my set up thus far.

I looked at an option.. going thru the sides. that way it may work but it really would look out of place..with the T - Handle and latches - one on each side..

Was it Ebay or somewhere...

Thanks again Harvey.

Best regards
Heikki ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:17 pm

Last edited by Classic Finn on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:34 pm

Danny,
This Norwegian scoffed at all the prefabbed stuff for camper shells that he came across and decided to build something which would be concealed insde the cavity from odds and ends...

Image
Looking from inside the galley...
Grant's T-handle, 4-small ball joint assemblies, 2-lengths of 3/8" rod, 6-bronze bushing bearings, 4- shaft collars and two scraps of flat bar.

Image
I'm going to add two more shaft collars and attach small coil springs to them to keep the mechanism sprung in the unlocked position to keep from accidently closing hatch with the rods sticking out.

Image
I'll be adding a removable maple access panel on the interior side of the hatch and a roller bearing will be mounted in the panel which the tail end of the t-handle will fit into to keep the square stock on the t-handle from flopping around...
Image Image Image
User avatar
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler
 
Posts: 4993
Images: 69
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 8:44 pm
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:49 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Danny,
This Norwegian scoffed at all the prefabbed stuff for camper shells that he came across and decided to build something which would be concealed insde the cavity from odds and ends...

Image
Looking from inside the galley...
Grant's T-handle, 4-small ball joint assemblies, 2-lengths of 3/8" rod, 6-bronze bushing bearings, 4- shaft collars and two scraps of flat bar.

Image
I'm going to add two more shaft collars and attach small coil springs to them to keep the mechanism sprung in the unlocked position to keep from accidently closing hatch with the rods sticking out.

Image
I'll be adding a removable maple access panel on the interior side of the hatch and a roller bearing will be mounted in the panel which the tail end of the t-handle will fit into to keep the square stock on the t-handle from flopping around...


Deanster the Norveegian :lol: :lol:

I have 2 latches from the Great Grant.. with the T - Handles..
Will they work on this Norveegian System? Is that a start?

Also I have the hatch skinned but I can get to it yet from the inside as my pics show..

Image

Image

This evening I found 2 different types over in England but almost at 100 USD plus shipping...but no import duty.

Image

Image

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:26 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:I knew I could count on you Mr. Steve. :applause: ;) I was thinking of this kind it's the KISS that I'm after. :D Danny
Image


Danny I think I found one of them at Austin Hardware... maybe you can see which is the correct model for my use.

http://www.austinhardware.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=3

Heikki ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Heikki, I think any of those in the last 3 posts will work including the ones you found. Now is anything like that available in your area? If you can't find one I can, and will send to you per our agreement. I hope this thread is helping shed some light on your hatch locking quest. I wondering how tight the ends of a hatch would be from water penetration. Would an outside latch be required to pull down on the weather stripping like most TD'rs do? Would the arms with the hatch latch in the picture Steve showed pull it tighter and not require outside latches? :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Image
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
User avatar
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper
 
Posts: 5380
Images: 152
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:02 pm
Location: Washington , Pew-al-up
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:26 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Heikki, I think any of those in the last 3 posts will work including the ones you found. Now is anything like that available in your area? If you can't find one I can, and will send to you per our agreement. I hope this thread is helping shed some light on your hatch locking quest. I wondering how tight the ends of a hatch would be from water penetration. Would an outside latch be required to pull down on the weather stripping like most TD'rs do? Would the arms with the hatch latch in the picture Steve showed pull it tighter and not require outside latches? :D Danny


Danny I,ll give England a call tomorrow at Indespension if they are open.. if not I,ll get on it on Monday.. I know here I havent run across any unless I dont know the exact name for them..

The outside type corner locks with key are available here that I know.
So that could help also..

Im having a small router cut on the bottom of my hatch done to place the rubber seal into.. I may do 2 of them - one on the bottom and top of the hatch.. meaning lower section that rests on the frame end.. that way it should seal nicely..

I,ll keep you posted Danny..

Best regards
Heikki
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:29 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Heikki, I think any of those in the last 3 posts will work including the ones you found. Now is anything like that available in your area? If you can't find one I can, and will send to you per our agreement. I hope this thread is helping shed some light on your hatch locking quest. I wondering how tight the ends of a hatch would be from water penetration. Would an outside latch be required to pull down on the weather stripping like most TD'rs do? Would the arms with the hatch latch in the picture Steve showed pull it tighter and not require outside latches? :D Danny


Maybe someone can chime in on the outside locks to draw the hatch tighter? and requirement. Im having a lip done on the outside of hatch bottom as well so it will help keep water out.. ;)

Heikki
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Image
User avatar
Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager
 
Posts: 17488
Images: 146
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:29 am
Location: Country of Finland
Top

Postby goldcoop » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:36 pm

Classic Finn wrote:Maybe someone can chime in on the outside locks to draw the hatch tighter? and requirement. Im having a lip done on the outside of hatch bottom as well so it will help keep water out..Heikki

Heikki-

Yes it will draw the hatch tighter, IF you position the female receptacle for the rods BEFORE adding the weatherstripping.

That means you will probably push in slightly while turning the T handle to latch.

Make sense?:roll:

Cheers,

Coop
User avatar
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1276
Images: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:02 pm
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Top

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron