Power Converter Comparisons please

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power Converter Comparisons please

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:34 am

Anyone use an Iota converter, or a Progressive Dynamics (Inteli-Power ) converter? I've seen both advertised with the optional charge wizard/IQ-4 Microprocessor-controller(depending on the manufacturer).

They seem comparable in price and specs. Iota’s are "CERTIFIED 100% Continuous Duty Cycle" meaning the 30A model is rated @ 30 CONTINUOUS AMPS.

Yes, actual construction will begin soon.......I have revised my frame/wall section once again....pic will follow.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:08 pm

I guess I'm being "shunned" since I haven't started yet........... :cry:
But since I'm still purchasing parts etc, doesn't that count.....

I just bought my AC panel, with a GFIC already installed.

Description:A NEW 120V AC BREAKER PANEL. THIS IS PERFECT FOR ADDING A.C. SHORE POWER TO A SMALL BOAT. THE DIMENSIONS ARE 6"W X 6-1/8"H(OD) AND 5"W X 5-1/4" HOLE SIZE. THIS PANEL INCLUDES 3 BREAKERS(MAIN, BATT CHARGER, AND GFI OUTLET). THERE IS A GFCI OUTLET RIGHT ON THE PANEL FOR UNCOMPLICATED WIRING. THERE IS ALSO A REVERSE POLARITY WARNING LIGHT.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:30 pm

...Ken, don't worry a bout the boo hoo...it happens
is that unit a 12vdc to 120vac converter or is it a 120vac to 12vdc inverter and where did ya find it...looks like an elegant solution, what the price
madjack 8)
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
most all personal problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:37 pm

madjack wrote:it happens
is that unit a 12vdc to 120vac converter or is it a 120vac to 12vdc inverter and where did ya find it...looks like an elegant solution, what the price
madjack 8)

Description:A NEW 120V AC BREAKER PANEL. THIS IS PERFECT FOR ADDING A.C. SHORE POWER TO A SMALL BOAT. THE DIMENSIONS ARE 6"W X 6-1/8"H(OD) AND 5"W X 5-1/4" HOLE SIZE. THIS PANEL INCLUDES 3 BREAKERS(MAIN, BATT CHARGER, AND GFI OUTLET). THERE IS A GFCI OUTLET RIGHT ON THE PANEL FOR UNCOMPLICATED WIRING. THERE IS ALSO A REVERSE POLARITY WARNING LIGHT.

It's just for my AC power, I already have a Blue Sea fuse box for the DC side.

It cost me $70.75 + $15 for shipping(since I'm in Canada eh)
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:50 pm

...d'oh, stupid me, I guess I should have read text a little closer or been paying better attention (instantly preconceived notions are dangerous...eh)
madjack 8)
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
most all personal problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Norm » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:15 pm

Hi Ken,
Where did you get it?

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby Eric Adams » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Norm wrote:Hi Ken,
Where did you get it?

Norm

Yes...do share. Would look good in the galley... 8)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby Norm » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:32 pm

Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:47 pm

Yup, and the one they have up now is only at $20.00..................I paid more for mine :cry: But I also bought my power converter/suppy today as well. A Iota 30Amp model with the IQ-4 controller....

See I've started, kinda :D
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:39 am

My AC panel arrived today. It looks well constructed, with a 30A main breaker, 1-15A(battery charger) and 1-10A(GFIC). All the internal wiring is 10AWG, and heat-shrunk at the connectors. The 2 circuits that need to be wired are labelled.
Since 1 circuit is for the GFIC, I plan on wiring all my wall outlets from the back of the GFIC plug.

My converter/power supply hasn't arrived yet, but I think it has a regular plug, (Don't have to hard-wire it to the 15A breaker) so I'll end up with a "spare" breaker.
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets