Good grief, another Texan

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Good grief, another Texan

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Howdy all,

I've been bitten by the bug. I've stumbled around looking at various TD sites for months, before landing here a couple of weeks ago. I must say, wow, what a treasure trove.

I'm still in the dreaming, gleam in the eye stage, but have found a number of cool things. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Trailer For Two in profile. I like the look of a Woddie, but am thinking of an aluminum roof. The TSC 5x8 utility trailer seems like a good platform to start. I have not welded really in nearly 30 years.

Wood working is something I've dabled in, but would love to learn more of. I'm a learn as you go type, so I'm not daunted. Yet.

My wife thinks, I'm nuts with this, but does admit the trailers do look cute, and are kinda cool looking.

I did a tremendous amount of trailer travel with my grandparents as a kid, and enjoyed every bit of it. A 28ft Terry would be nice, but might be a squeeze in a 2-car garage. Besides, I wouldn't get to build anything.

Cedar Hill in March may be doable for a day visit. My son and I will do a scout campout at Camp Wisdom the week before.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:36 am

Welcome Sparksalot. would be good user id name for a welder but you said you haven't welded in years.

Glad to have another Texan on board.

Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:11 am

On a relate ( BUG BITE ) note I have infected on of the guys here at work he started building on a 6x8 snowmobile trailed this weekend. :thumbsup:

OOPS P.S. Welcome aboard !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby razorback » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:25 am

welcome sparksalot. I too chose the Trailer for Two profile. I bought plans for the Kuffle Creek Comet which is the Trailer for Two profile. These plans call for a 4 X 10 but I converted to a 5 X 10. I did not do a complicated galley and interior cabinets. Just plain shelves. I bought a 5 X 10 trailer without the ramp, sidewalls, or floor. Had the trailer guy put a 2 inch receiver on the back and put extruded metal as the floor to hold my insulation in place. Used treated 2 X 4's and treated plywood for the floor.
Anyway welcome and enjoy your build.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:03 am

Image to the playground Sparksalot. Building is so much fun. Better if you have tools going in and know how to use them.

We look forward to watching your build. :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Remember---pictures keep the bubble oil level. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby edevans » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:10 am

Welcome, and have fun. Hope you and your son can make it to Cedar Hill for a look. Ed & Ruby
edevans
The 300 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:12 pm

Texans, Texans, Texans...Oh well, it's always nice to see someone from a small state jump into the circus!!! Welcome aboard!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Coca Cola Teardrop wrote:Welcome Sparksalot. would be good user id name for a welder but you said you haven't welded in years.

Glad to have another Texan on board.

Linda

LOL

I hadn't thought of the welding angle. I'm an electrical engineer by day.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:56 pm

razorback wrote:welcome sparksalot. I too chose the Trailer for Two profile. I bought plans for the Kuffle Creek Comet which is the Trailer for Two profile. These plans call for a 4 X 10 but I converted to a 5 X 10. I did not do a complicated galley and interior cabinets. Just plain shelves. I bought a 5 X 10 trailer without the ramp, sidewalls, or floor. Had the trailer guy put a 2 inch receiver on the back and put extruded metal as the floor to hold my insulation in place. Used treated 2 X 4's and treated plywood for the floor.
Anyway welcome and enjoy your build.
Larry

I have been considering ordering a set of plans from Kuffel Creek. What is your opinion of the information?

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:01 pm

bobhenry wrote:
OOPS P.S. Welcome aboard !

Thanks!

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Image to the playground Sparksalot. Building is so much fun. Better if you have tools going in and know how to use them.

We look forward to watching your build. :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Remember---pictures keep the bubble oil level. 8)

I like to take pictures of stuff I build, so they will flow once the fun starts.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:03 pm

edevans wrote:Welcome, and have fun. Hope you and your son can make it to Cedar Hill for a look. Ed & Ruby

I hope to bring my wife as well. Maybe help convince her I'm not daft.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:06 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Texans, Texans, Texans...Oh well, it's always nice to see someone from a small state jump into the circus!!! Welcome aboard!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pbbbt. Actually, I'm not a native, but I did get here as fast as possible.

Howdy.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Welcome aboard – now get that trailer and start building somethin’ . Remember to take a lot of pictures while building.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby razorback » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:04 am

For someone who has never built anything I found the plans to be extremely helpful. I also got a lot of help from the build site of Tom Swenson. http://www.tomswenson.com/teardrop/index.shtml
I used the Kuffel plans for the basic layout of the profile, roof spars, and for the interior walls, insulation, wiring, and the hatch build. The plans are about 85 or 90 pages with a lot of pictures. It has a very extensive list of what parts are needed at what point in the build as well as some good advice about suppliers.
I will be glad to answer any questions or give what little advice I have about my build as it would relate to your build.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves