Got a Birthday present!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Got a Birthday present!

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm sure it doesn't look like much to many of you, but one of my customers knows that I am interested in vintage lanterns and stoves. She mentioned that she had an old stove that I could have. She brought it by today. It's an approx. 1925-30 or so Handy Chef stove. They were marketed through Sears Roebuck. Brass tank, with separate pump. I pumped it up and it held pressure and when I cracked the valve, it hissed, so maybe it's a burner!
I'll do a complete restoration on this one. It's pretty rusty and probably hasn't been run in 30 years or so. Now to get with Mike A and see if I can borrow his bead blaster! Doesn't look like much now, but it's nearly 90 years old and I'll really make her a beauty! I'm a happy camper! Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby toypusher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Congrats. :applause: Looks like a real project and can hardly wait to see it restored!!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby neal b » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:04 pm

:thumbsup:
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby mandy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:04 pm

Are you gonna keep it in the original black?

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby satch » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:08 pm

You da man!! :thumbsup:
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Mandy...yes, probably keep this one in the original color. I am thinking about getting some of the more numerable vintage Colemans and doing a specific paint job on them to match my tears. There are lots of them around and are less expensive than lanterns of the same vintage. I figure if it has to be painted, why not make it specific to one of my trailers, I've got plenty of leftovers to shoot them how I want. Rich will howl when he sees a mint green stove! It's his favorite color!!! I'll have to figure out a great 2 tone paint job on one, ....... :lol: :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:24 pm

doug hodder wrote:Mandy...yes, probably keep this one in the original color. I am thinking about getting some of the more numerable vintage Colemans and doing a specific paint job on them to match my tears. There are lots of them around and are less expensive than lanterns of the same vintage. I figure if it has to be painted, why not make it specific to one of my trailers, I've got plenty of leftovers to shoot them how I want. Rich will howl when he sees a mint green stove! It's his favorite color!!! I'll have to figure out a great 2 tone paint job on one, ....... :lol: :lol: Doug

EEEEEyyuuukkkk.!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You mean you haven't spilt that can yet??? :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:47 pm

Right on, Doug, good find. Now it makes me want to dust off my Dad's old pump-up Coleman, that we used while we were tenting when I was just a kid. However, I can't make it the same color as my woody, so I guess the old Coleman green will have to do.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could laminate lauan, pine trim and wood plugs on the outside..........naw bad idea. Keep us informed regarding the refurbishing process of that gem. Projects like that keep us off of the couch and away from the Oprah show. So many plans, so little time.
;) Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby doug hodder » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:08 am

Roly....actually that's not that far fetched of an idea. I've done a bunch of temp. measurements all over the body of a stove to determine how close I can have a stove on counter tops etc. What I found is that the body on the stove only gets to 145 running nearly full tilt with a pot of water on it at the edges that are closest to the burner. I'll double check to make sure, since I'm older now and can't remember for sure. I can get 130 on the wood boat deck sitting out in the sun all day. The wings and top are much less than that. Based on a new Coleman 424 stove. Thing is, if you put on a large dia. pan, it will throw the heat out into the body of the stove more and could potentially light it up. A thin aluminum liner would be a +. It's dicey, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a daily user in the tear, but I'd be willing to bet you could do one for demonstration purposes, (one of your tours). The grate would need to have a metal flange on it however, probably with some sort of insulating fiber washer. That would bring on a whole new perspective to the idea of a "wood burning stove" If I get a junker, I'll maybe make one for grins to test out the theory. Why not?, you already have a toaster made of wood! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby starleen2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:20 am

It will certainly look and function as intended after you are finished with it - as alway - may you have many moments of Joy as you tenderly restore it back to its former glory - then use the HELL out of it! :lol: :lol: (Soryy for tghe last remark, this post was just getting a little bit sentimental)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Got a Birthday present!

Postby CaptainKram » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 am

doug hodder wrote:
I'll do a complete restoration on this one. It's pretty rusty and probably hasn't been run in 30 years or so. Now to get with Mike A and see if I can borrow his bead blaster!

Doug, nice stove! :thumbsup: My dad had one a long time ago. Like the brass tank, they look great cleaned up.

I picked one of these up not to long ago: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=37025

Works great for me, definitely worth $30.00.

Mark
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:42 am

Roly Nelson wrote:Right on, Doug, good find. Now it makes me want to dust off my Dad's old pump-up Coleman, that we used while we were tenting when I was just a kid. However, I can't make it the same color as my woody, so I guess the old Coleman green will have to do.

;) Roly

Roly 3 words three step stain.

It ain't wood but it will make 'em do a double take. It's a baby s$%^#t brown base with a wood tone glaze put on with a wierd applicator tool that minics the wood grain beautifully and then clear coat. I had some wide red oak trim in the house that was all but destroyed by years of curtain rod installations and such , so I bondoed the divits and used this over the surface. No one seeing our house for the first time has ever noticed its painted. Several HAVE remark how lucky I was to have the "original" trim. Might be worth a hoot !!! :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doug hodder » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 pm

Mark....a little blaster is really handy. I've got one, but it's loaded with sand, Mike A has a regular blasting box with glass bead in it. After using the glass, I'll never go back to sand again. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Doug and bobhenry, thanks a lot, now you have thrown down the gauntlet (again). All I have to do is decide if faux paint or protected real wood is the answer. Next step, get-er out and do some experimenting. See, the world of trial and error is never finished............Oh the Humanity....
Roly ;) Got to keep busy or the world will slide by without me.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby doug hodder » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:29 pm

I didn't think about that Bobhenry....a woodgrain treatment would be great on one....keeps'em guessing....and if you haven't had a Roly tour....well, that cat has everything made in wood....just don't try to eat his toast and I'm still wondering about the satellite dish reception! :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to General Discussion