Window gasket material source - rubber?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window gasket material source - rubber?

Postby 4d9r » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:57 pm

I need to make my own gaskets for the windows. I'd like to make them seemless so I will cut them out of thin rubber mat if I can find a source. I know people have done it before.
Can anybody give me a source for the rubber sheet?
4d9r
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SteveH » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Try this place: http://www.austinhardware.com/default.asp?

They stock all sorts of rubber seal material.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:13 am

hey, Steve
What about the stuff that was used to hold your widshield in on your '32? That would make a seamless seal would it not? I can not remember what it is called or were to get it. I think it is Dupont 777 or something like that.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:59 am

4d9r,
There are several types of self locking rubber window gaskets available. They are derived from wall thickness and glass thickness. They come in lineal form, which means there would be a split in the perimeter, but that can be urethaned togetether. Common use of these types of window gaskets are heavy equipment and automotive applications. (I don't know if this is the type of application you're talking about though)
On the other hand, if you are going to be using some sort of window stops, there is a multitude of glazing tapes and sealants to get a waterproof seal.
Please better describe what your application is.

Type of seal desired -.

Postby 4d9r » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:40 pm

The oval shaped window opens up and away from trailer by use of an inside raising/locking rod. window piano hinged on top. Need to make an oval, seemless gasket to seal the window to trailer connection when window is lowered and locked. I'm not concerned with the window to window channel seal just the window frame to trailer seal. Figure I should be able to cut one from a sheet of 1/8" rubber if I can find a source that doesn't require me to buy enough to start my own gasket company :roll:
4d9r
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:56 pm

4d9r,
It sounds like you are talking about a seal for the metal framed vent to set against when the vent is closed and not a seal that is in contact with the glass itself.
To get an even pressure compression seal, why not just get some weather stripping in roll form. It comes in many widths and thickness', just be sure to use the closed cell type. (Open cell would abosrb water like a sponge) You could glue the butt joint together where a splice occurs.
The original type of seal material may still be available, but chances are... you may need to disassemble the main frame to replace this stuff because it usually slides into a channel or slot.
Try looking through the online catalog at
http://www.crlaurence.com to see if you can find the original gasket.

Postby purplepickup » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:57 pm

Have you checked McMaster Carr? http://www.mcmaster.com/

They have a lot of different kinds of rubber sheet in different durometers or they have a lot of various rubber gasket strips, etc that might work.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Thanks everyone!

Postby 4d9r » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:54 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.
George - you nailed it! For anyone looking for gasket material this place has the most extensive selection you could ever want. Now if I could get them to custom cut it for me.......
4d9r
Teardrop Inspector

Postby purplepickup » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:59 pm

I know you've pretty much made your mind up to use sheet stock but cutting it and making it look real nice isn't all that easy. It wants to move around while you're cutting. McMaster also has closed cell foam rubber cording that can be glued in place and it looks and seals pretty good.

George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Re: Thanks everyone!

Postby Geron » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:29 pm

4d9r wrote: Now if I could get them to custom cut it for me.......

I've bought some natural latex rubber products from McMaster-Carr and they always seemed more than willing to cut band, sheet and tubing to order. Don't think you'll have a problem. :D
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Test Tomorrow...

Postby 4d9r » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:33 pm

I ordered a 24" x 12" sheet 1/8" thick of soft neoprene and will get it the next day! (Tomorrow). I'll try cutting it into a gasket and let you know how it went. All the cord or strips I'v seen are thicker than 1/8". I need to do 5 windows total so tomorrow will be a test. Thanks
4d9r
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DestinDave » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:33 am

FWIW - if you need to join the ends of a rubber cord type gasket Super Glue works great. Just dab a litle on each end, and hold them together for a minute or two. I've used this many times on deck hatches on yachts. Also, I once had to replace a large flat rubber gasket around a boat window and couldn't find a supplier anywhere - not even the boat manufacturer. I got a couple cans of liquid rubber (like liquid electrical tape) and brushed several coats building it up to about 1/32 thickness. It worked fine although a bit time-consuming. Good luck however you go...
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Gasket is done

Postby 4d9r » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:02 pm

I got the rubber sheet today, cut the 24" x 12" seamless window gasket (with oval corners) in about 1/2 hour with an x-acto knife and construction scissors. Fits the window perfect. The only problem I might have is the thickness of the rubber at 1/8". If it's too thick when I remount the window I'll cut another from a thinner rubber sheet. I'm really happy with the result, looks like factory. :thumbsup:
4d9r
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques