$2 investment

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

$2 investment

Postby lauriandgary » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:31 pm

(Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

On Tuesday, Lauri purchased a $2 scratch-off lottery ticket and asked me to verify what she had won. I looked it over and the ticket was worth $100. Later that evening, I received a phone call from someone who had a vintage travel trailer for sale. I had placed an ad on Craigslist in search of such an item. We met on Wednesday and this is what he had for sale:

The selling price was $100. I told him Sold! and that I had to put a trailer hitch on my truck and that I'd come back tomorrow to pick it up. So I did and brought that baby back home. For more pics go here:
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff81/lauriandgary/Camper%20Trailer/?start=0

The only name tag we found was on the backsplash for "The Famous Westerner." Seaching on this I found out that Westerners were made by Westfield, Inc. in Azusa, CA. It seems that they built trailers in the 50's and 60's.

So now our plan is to get it highway legal do some minor modifications and/or renovations and start camping. We've given ourselves an April goal to take that 1st camping trip. In our first pass, the camper cleaned up rather nicely, the seat cushions, dinette, cabinets and rear bed are in great shape. Did notice rot near the wheel wheel openings and a few spots in the interior. Other than that, it's in better shape than what we expected. Any major work (rebuilding walls, ceilings and floor) will have to wait
Gary

And if I don't see you tomorrow, hello.
lauriandgary
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Wow! :o That's like getting it for free!

With winning the money and then being offered the trailer for the exact amount of money that you had won, it's looks as if you were supposed to buy it! Are you going to name her "FATE" or "DESTINY"? :lol:

Congratulations on you "new" Trailer!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lauriandgary » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:53 pm

Sharon,

Thanks. Unfortunately, the luck didn't carryover to our purchase of the Powerball and Lottery for Wednesday. :(

We are thinking of Lagnaippe as a name, means extra
Gary

lauriandgary
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:17 pm

Any major work (rebuilding walls, ceilings and floor) will have to wait

Hi Gary!

Good price for a camper you can clean up and use!

Be careful you don't get too caught up in "rebuilding" and restoring.

What you have is great for a fun time out camping, but can turn into a money pit and extreme headache if you try to "fix it up" anymore than is needed to make it safe. :thinking:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jiminsav » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:34 pm

so...you spent your wife's money on a trailer...and your still alive...and she likes the trailer...

man, your lucky Bubba.. 8) 8)
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby moreforles » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 pm

yeah, :lol: you must have let her pick the name, so she'ld feel like it is her camper :twisted: does she get to get a bass boat or a motorcycle too?
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Postby satch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Jiminsav wrote:so...you spent your wife's money on a trailer...and your still alive...and she likes the trailer...

I hear, can I come over a rub your belly? :lol:
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby B52 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 pm

Wanna double your investment? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 am

Jiminsav wrote:so...you spent your wife's money on a trailer...and your still alive...and she likes the trailer...

:lol: Nah! She just knows he is stuck home every weekend now. 8) :angel: Sounds like you made a good purchase.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mark McD » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Excellent find. I wish I could find an old tt for a c-note. Man what a deal.
Enjoy.
I could picture the deal going down... after you exchange the cabbage the guy looks at his wife and winks as to say " what idiot would buy this p.o.s.?" Meanwhile you walk away with a travel trailer that makes people like us drool. Just goes to show the old addage is true- one man's junk is another man's treasure.
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby lauriandgary » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:22 pm

To all, Happy Valentine's Day. I'm very lucky to have married Lauri! 8)

We did a major cleaning today, used a steam cleaner that worked out great. No worries about germs (but will still clean again with Clorox or other anti-bactierial cleaners to be sure). We did find some rot in the front corner and the rear corner. :cry:

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff81/lauriandgary/Camper%20Trailer/?action=view&current=001-2.jpg

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff81/lauriandgary/Camper%20Trailer/?action=view&current=002-2.jpg

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff81/lauriandgary/Camper%20Trailer/?action=view&current=002-2.jpg

So that's gonna be on the agenda to fix. But overall, we can't wait to go camping! :vroom:
Gary

lauriandgary
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion