getting my build on.. or no plans=changes

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

getting my build on.. or no plans=changes

Postby mk10108 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:51 am

Starting a build without a plan.

Just sitting around admiring my work...drinking & thinking...does a 5x10 TD really work for the big guy?

Many a night probing the board and started noticing a trend. Multiple TD builders tend to go larger. I broke out in a cold sweat...is it possible a teardrop won't work for me? Thoughts of hard core space utilization verses flowing lines of a curve. How do I keep the faith and maintain the covenant with the clan.

Digging deeper and seeking "the one" that accommodates my size, needs of the Mrs. and the twins. The build that doesn't squander my "allotted" carbon footprint...red pill or green...where's Morpheus when you need him. I choose red, swallow and plunge into TD Matrix...3/4 hard side vs. stick frame, insulation, pop top, floor plans, still can't figure out how sketch up works, slide out, drop down, simple build or a wacked out origami nightmare...perhaps a design grafted from existing manufactures onto the tiny trailer concept.

I found this Fiber Stream

Leading to a Forever Young by Hymer (Europe's' Winnebago)

Morphing to this.... Four Wheel Camper in Woodland CA.

What if you squared off the "slide in" structure, extended the bottom forward...yeah its a box...art my friends is overrated. Compared to a teardrop, this thing is a freaking mansion. The inside side wall height is 56 inches from the deck and the pop top is a full 2 feet. Roof support is a simple hinged panel fore & aft that over centers, locking into position. The canvas is rubber impregnated, stapled under the aluminum roof and the bottom is attached to the outside paneling. The struts are used to help the 14 foot roof up. My trailer will be 79" x 142 (6'6" x 11'10") and will not need the assist. If anyone points the finger and exclaims blasphemer, I'll lower the roof.

Kitchen inside (it can rain when you camp), poop box, tall counters, table, couch converts to a bed, sink, and shower. Tall enough for me to stand yet cozy. Building the extra space below the elevated bed, yields growing room for the twins. FWC is local and I saw various models during construction. I'm confident I can handle the pop up...heck if I can survive welding...staples, sheers and a sewing machine are a no brainer. Who knows I might get artsy and add curves to the corners...easy to do with you don't have a plan.

Oh yeah..finished my frame...tip of the day... while on your back painting and listening to your Ipod...electrical tape keeps your ear speakers from falling out.

Weather is bad for the next ten days, until it clears up, wood will have to wait.
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Re: getting my build on.. or no plans=changes

Postby aggie79 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:01 am

Nice trailer and wheels!

:applause:

mk10108 wrote:Starting a build without a plan.

:thinking: What's a plan? No one told me anything about a plan. Maybe I should have started with the trailer first.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Mark McD » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:05 am

I like the Euro pop-up. I'm torn between two styles myself. Can't decide.

P.S. Looks like you're gonna need to carve out a little bit of workspace in the garage :D
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby GregB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Oh yeah, I remember the slightly disjointed stream of consciousness that is associated with trailer dreams. Accept the fact that you will spend more time in the chair admiring your handiwork and finishing the build in your mind (with new wrinkles each time) rather than actually building and you will assuage the inevitable feelings of guilt (why can I not get up from this chair?).
Having traversed much of the same territory you are currently passing through, and summarizing much of the collective wisdom of the members here, "Build it the way you want it." We call ourselves teardroppers but there is an amazingly wide variety of trailers that are shoehorned into that moniker. Really, we're the Frank Sinatra's of the "go as small as you dare" travel trailer world. That, I think, is what makes this place so cool. Everyone's trailer is a distinct manifestation of their individual needs and neuroses, a highly individual imprimatur, if you will. It's a goofy addiction, but one that fills a significant need for all of us.

So,... yeah baby, take the pill, dive right in the water's great, and just 'cause it ain't on paper don't mean you don't have a plan.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Dean_A » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:01 pm

It gets easier. Every path your choose eliminates a dozen others. Just remember the ultimate goal: get camping!!!
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby mk10108 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Dean_A wrote:It gets easier. Every path your choose eliminates a dozen others. Just remember the ultimate goal: get camping!!!

Wise words......what will you do if I finish mine before you do?
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby mk10108 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm

GregB wrote:Oh yeah, I remember the slightly disjointed stream of consciousness that is associated with trailer dreams. Accept the fact that you will spend more time in the chair admiring your handiwork and finishing the build in your mind (with new wrinkles each time) rather than actually building and you will assuage the inevitable feelings of guilt (why can I not get up from this chair?).
Having traversed much of the same territory you are currently passing through, and summarizing much of the collective wisdom of the members here, "Build it the way you want it." We call ourselves teardroppers but there is an amazingly wide variety of trailers that are shoehorned into that moniker. Really, we're the Frank Sinatra's of the "go as small as you dare" travel trailer world. That, I think, is what makes this place so cool. Everyone's trailer is a distinct manifestation of their individual needs and neuroses, a highly individual imprimatur, if you will. It's a goofy addiction, but one that fills a significant need for all of us.

So,... yeah baby, take the pill, dive right in the water's great, and just 'cause it ain't on paper don't mean you don't have a plan.

GB

Just reviewed your album...I yield the the right honorable gentleman from UT. A modern classic...well done
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:25 pm

I actually started my journey looking at a cab over camper. Found some plans for building one too.

My only goal was a small foot print for acceptable gas mileage for realistic nationwide travel. My friend turned me on to teardrops and I was hooked on the styling. It matches my classic truck nicely. I like my kitchen outdoors too. The inside is for one thing... laying in bed, not cooking. That's my take on it. Think about step by step what you want out of your camping and traveling experience and I hope that helps ya!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Mark McD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 am

I actually started my journey looking at a cab over camper. Found some plans for building one too.

Thomas, where did you find plans for a cabover? Got a link?
:D
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:41 am

Every function you add to a t/d increases the space you need. I have a dog... more space.... I added a galley.... it got bigger... more than 2 people... bigger yet.

I'd start with a list of your wants.. then cut to what you need and what you can live without.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GregB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:34 am

...well done.

Ha! Unfortunately, done, it is not. However (yoda voice), campable it is. A deeper dip into my album shows a small amount of the casting to and fro regarding design that happened during the build. Heck, I'm still changing things!

Good Luck and enjoy the ride,

GB

P.S. the right honourable gentleman from Utah is originally from Roseville.
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby mk10108 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:50 am

GregB wrote:
...well done.

Ha! Unfortunately, done, it is not. However (yoda voice), campable it is. A deeper dip into my album shows a small amount of the casting to and fro regarding design that happened during the build. Heck, I'm still changing things!

Good Luck and enjoy the ride,

GB

P.S. the right honourable gentleman from Utah is originally from Roseville.

Yes I see how your build is evolving...nice curve.

Roseville.....LOL....its still here
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby BPFox » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:40 am

Some folks will tell you to "Plan your Work", then "Work your Plan".

Others might say "Failling to Plan is Planning to Fail".

I say, "If you don't have a plan, you can't screw it up."

It looks like you have a pretty good start. Just keep adding the things you can't live without and make it your own. Once it's done, there will be plenty of time to sit around the campfire with a cold beer and think about all the things you should of, could of and would have done. Peace.
BPFox
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion