Dogs and Tears

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Dogs and Tears

Postby Rvankeur » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:00 am

Hi all, newbie here with a logistics question...
Who camps with their dogs, and for the bigger doggies - where do they sleep?

We've got a 70 pound German Shepherd and are in the 'planning/dreaming/scheming' phase of teardropping. Looking into designs and whether we've got the time and space to build one.

So - any tips?

Thanks,
Rose
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby FireLion » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:52 am

hikerchick, you readin this?
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby hiker chick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:53 am

Two peops and a 70-pound German Shepherd would be cramped inside a teardrop. My 48-pound Samoyed and I are plenty comfy in a 6'wide. But my teardrop doesn't have cabinets.

You also need to be mindful of your pup's ability to get in and out of the teardrop. Coincidentally, this past week we were camped next to two elderly German Shepherds, both of them suffering severe hip problems.

My Honda Element would be plenty roomy for Gidget and I'd feel she was safe in it by herself where we camp (where the black bears don't have a history of breaking into vehicles), but she'd bark if left alone all night.

Is your tow vehicle a pickup or SUV?

Perhaps the best option would be an attaching side tent that you could crate your pup in or secure them via a leash to the teardrop (leaving the door open on the teardrop so you have constant access to your pup and vice versa).

Last edited by hiker chick on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FireLion » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:54 am

yeah, I shoulda known. :lol:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby JenniferandPups » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:07 am

We have two dogs (a 60 lb and a 30 lb), a 6'4" man, and me to fit into a trailer. Oh... and the 30 lb dog gets very cranky if the 60 lb dog doesn't mind his manners/steps on her, which is very annoying in the middle of the night. Tent camping had gotten just about impossible, especialy with our 2 person backpacking tent.

We just bought a 10 foot long/7 foot wide old travel trailer to camp with; our first trip out was FABULOUS! Big dog slept on the bed with us, and there was plenty of room. Medium dog slept in her crate between the bed and galley, and was happily undisturbed all night. There was plenty of room (though I wouldn't want to add another dog OR person to the mix).

I'd say you need at LEAST a bed the size of a king sized bed to be comfortable. (our 60 lb dog is a poodle, and is taller/longer legs than any german shepherd we've met, so he takes up QUITE a bit of space). The bed in the trailer is about 6'5x6'5 feet. The length is just perfect since our feet hang off the end a little, the width is very nice, but could be a foot or two narrower.

It's doable... but you are going to want a bigger teardrop or possibly TTT.
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby hiker chick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 am

FireLion wrote:yeah, I shoulda known. :lol:

I certainly wasn't going to pass up a "dogs & tears" thread!

:lol:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rvankeur » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 am

We currently have a pop-up (that's too big, now that the kids are either out of the house, or not interested in camping) that's pulled by a full size van.

The GSD isn't coming on our next camping adventure, as we'll be kayaking and biking during the days and don't want to leave her unattended.

We are just at the beginning of our search for designs, and given that we're on the larger size, we were aiming for something with at least a queen size bed.

All tips and suggestions gratefully welcomed.

Thanks,
Rose

Oh, and loved the pix of both the smiling doggy, and the interior of the Tear.
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:41 am

Mine has her own teardrop but still like to snuggle with us. But at 23 pounds she don't take up much room down at our feet.

Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby McTeardrops » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:43 am

Rose

Our border collie, Jasper, has reached fifty pounds. He seems to think the area under the rear shelf is a natural "den". He is happy to be there when he has to be left alone for a while, or when scared by thunder. He takes up the driver's side rear corner, up to the edge of the door, when we're sleeping, pretty much like at home. Plenty of room for we three on a full size mattress.

We have him crate trained, but haven't used it while camping. He stays well, in the pickup, with the windows down 2/3 on the days we tourist where he can't go. Plenty of water, and a section of rug on the floor keep him comfy. The doggy boxes make it all worthwhile.

I could see going five wide, if you have a source of baltic birch. I know you won't believe this, but going six wide could double your build cost.

Lenny and Jasper
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:01 am

We have a Lab and a Mini Dachshund that go camping with us. While my tear isn't completed yet, I'm thinking of a built in dog house for both of them. While tenting the Lab usually liked to sleep outside and the little dog would snuggle in with us. Whichever way you go...just be mindful of the rules of different campgrounds...I've seen some that allow dogs...but they had a size and breed limit.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby bfitz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:19 am

Bobhenry: Me hopes you're not fixin to cook that lil guy! :D

har har har
bfitz
Teardrop Master

Postby BillandMarijo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:20 am

hiker chick wrote:
FireLion wrote:yeah, I shoulda known. :lol:

I certainly wasn't going to pass up a "dogs & tears" thread!

:lol:

hikerchick,
Wow nice tear. Love the interior.
Bill and Marijo :applause:
Hope to see you on the road.
Bill and Marijo

Also We Are On Facebook
Friend Us.
Bill Peterman
Marijo Haselbarth Peterman
BillandMarijo
500 Club

Postby Rvankeur » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:40 am

I love the doggy tear. I just couldn't imagine what size it'd have to be for a 70 lb Shepherd. Could you tow it behind the tear being towed? :D
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Rvankeur wrote:I love the doggy tear. I just couldn't imagine what size it'd have to be for a 70 lb Shepherd. Could you tow it behind the tear being towed? :D

About this size should work ..........Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:15 pm

I take Jasmine, my Cocker Spaniel, camping every time I go. She would never forgive me if I left her behind. My tear is a 4x8, but since it's just the two of us, there is plenty of room. I think she'd be scared if I left her in the car and bear-bait if left outside.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion