Regarding Piano hinges for the rear hatch

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Regarding Piano hinges for the rear hatch

Postby Marck » Fri May 13, 2005 8:50 pm

Keeping in mind that my Tear is 6' wide (although the hatch will be more like 5' wide)
What would be the feasibility of using a 2" wide (or even 3" wide) Aluminium Hinge... .060, hard pinned with 1" knuckles???
Would it hold up??? :thinking:
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby MtrngMan » Fri May 13, 2005 9:06 pm

Hey Marck,
I used the piano hinge from HD and it works great!. I covered the hinge with a strip of vinyl cloth for rain protection, holding it down with 1" wood lath. I glued the vinyl to the tear with Gorilla glue, then glued and nailed the wood lath over the vinyl to clean up the appearance.

MtrngMan
MtrngMan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Marck » Fri May 13, 2005 9:16 pm

I covered the hinge with a strip of vinyl cloth for rain protection, holding it down with 1" wood lath. I glued the vinyl to the tear with Gorilla glue, then glued and nailed the wood lath over the vinyl to clean up the appearance.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that set up would you??

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby MtrngMan » Sat May 14, 2005 10:26 pm

Marck,
I appologize for the wait for a pic of the hinge cover. I was working on the inside blocking today. See the link below. The pic is a bit out of focus but I think you can see what I was talking about.

MtrngMAn

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/goofyguy043/detail?.dir=988a&.dnm=244a.jpg&.src=ph
MtrngMan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby larryl » Sun May 15, 2005 8:47 am

Marck:

I purchased continuous hinges, aluminum, 6' length for both the hatch and side doors for my Cubby. I am concerned about the water integrity for both the horizonal and vertical installation. I'm going to cover the hinges with vinyl baseboard(used when tile or sheetgoods are installed) and trim the sides with alum. angle.

Will post pictures once completed.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby Salivanto » Sun May 15, 2005 12:30 pm

MtrngMan wrote:Marck,
I appologize for the wait for a pic of the hinge cover. I was working on the inside blocking today. See the link below. The pic is a bit out of focus but I think you can see what I was talking about.

MtrngMAn

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/goofyguy043/detail?.dir=988a&.dnm=244a.jpg&.src=ph

Hey there... I get "not authorised" when I try to view that link. Is that a problem on my end or yours?
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Marck » Sun May 15, 2005 10:23 pm

Must be on his end... I get the same message when I try to view it.

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby ScottH61 » Sun May 15, 2005 10:27 pm

I get "The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible" when I try to load the page... maybe I'm authorized, but the page isn't there. :lol:
~ Scott
ScottH61
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dave Nathanson » Mon May 16, 2005 2:28 pm

How much does it cost for a 5' piano hinge? I got a "Hurricane Hinge" from Grant Whipp (Lil Bear) for something like $56 delivered. Really great item. If it's (*ahem*) mounted right side forward, it won't leak. He sent me a hinge that is slightly over 5', like 5'1" or so. This is great so I can easily have the front side slightly longer than the back side to help prevent any water leaking in the ends. A piano hinge is all leaks, so you have to cover it.

Yesterday I replaced my backwards hinge with a new one mounted right. It was amazing how much dirt had gotten wshed into it in less than 1 year. But we have been in seveal huge rainstorms. I'm happy to report that the replacement operation went really well.
:thumbsup:
I used plenty of 10% silicone II (formulated for metal). Which begs the question... If it's 100% silicone, how can they have so many different formulations?
:roll:
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques