Hatches and hinges - Show me yours please.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Hatches and hinges - Show me yours please.

Postby grizz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:02 am

Hi all, not sure if I should put this here, or in the build forum.

Anyway, few people add real detailed pics of their hatches and hinges.

Especially the waterproofing solutions, fit and overlap to make it dust, water or weatherproof.

Please post details of that part of your builds here.

Any other advice around hatches and hinges (Could be door hinge fitting too) welcomed.

As a payment... here is one of Zach's Urabus Scuttlebutt

Hope the link gives us a photo.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:50 am

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby planovet » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:22 am

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:02 pm

:o Wow you guys did good. Mine is simple and a heavy duty piano hinge. Now the truth is by the time I shipped I could have bought a hurricane hing from Grant!

It is covered with EPDM (I think that is right) pond liner. I don't have a picture of it cleaned up.

I cauked the daylights out of it both under the hinge and over.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Sun May 09, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Close... EPDM rubber!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:05 pm

mikeschn wrote:Close... EPDM rubber!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

Mike...

:lol: Yep that is it. :thumbsup: Wish I had seen the roll stuff.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby hotrod » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:12 pm

mine is similar to auntie Ms....
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:41 pm

I like the older type "hurricane hinge". It has a 1/4" off set between the body and the hatch. The plus for me is that I can bury the hinge body flange under the skin and have no fasteners visible....but then the top has some serious epoxy over it. I allowed a small rain gutter just ahead of the knuckle on the hinge. I used a 3/8" lip on the interior skin of the galley that keeps water from wanting to "flow" in. The weather stripping rides on top of the lip. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:08 am

Thanks all, just so you know, at this point I am still making u the build as I go along.
So the hatch is neither made nor conceived, though the ribs are cut, and if you look in the build thread, you will see I did get a 5 foot window and complete hinge yesterday.
8)
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rigsby » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Rian, i to used a caravan window hinge on the Scavenger hatch hinge. I had to lay an ally strip into the gap where the window came out of, so that there was a bit more to screw through. I will be using the same on the Scavanger 2, but i might steal dougs idea, and use a cut out of the side profile as the outer hatch spars. I think this will make the hatch easier to make and seal
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Postby jackdaw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 pm

doug hodder wrote:I like the older type "hurricane hinge". It has a 1/4" off set between the body and the hatch. The plus for me is that I can bury the hinge body flange under the skin and have no fasteners visible....but then the top has some serious epoxy over it. I allowed a small rain gutter just ahead of the knuckle on the hinge. I used a 3/8" lip on the interior skin of the galley that keeps water from wanting to "flow" in. The weather stripping rides on top of the lip. Doug

:shock: :shock: :shock: That is a beautiful job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I love it , and need to improve my attention to detail :oops: :oops:

Here's my metalwork

I'm planing on adding a rubber strip under the hatch part of the hinge, over the top part of the hinge, and under the cover strip to stop it flooding when its open in the rain.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby grizz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks all, here is my current contribution.... :)

Tonight I was just chilling in the garage, as my work day was a bit poo, and I needed to unwind.

I coated all the surfaces for the galley, and the internal cabinets with their 2nd coat of varnish.

When that was done, I felt the MOJO still bubbling away, so decided to see if I could get the hinge off the window I bought for £10.00 on Saturday. That way I can start making up the galley hatch when I am ready for it.

One side slips out, the other had been press fitted along with a rubber seal between the ally and the window perspex.

I asked DeliDave and he suggested cutting it off with perspex in place.... but of course I tried "Old Skool" therapy first.... large lump hammer and screwdriver, followed by liberal WD40 application, a mug of tea and then some more hammer action down the length.

After a reasonably short time I had them seperated and am now the proud owner of 5ft 5 inches of hinge.

Starting to seperate away.

Done !!! WoooHoooo !!

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 am

Just seen this one on SATEAR's thread , wondering if I will need to do extra waterproofing.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun May 02, 2010 3:54 am

I'd know that lexan see thru roof anywhere !

That's my "Chubby"

Under that lexan is 3 simple strap hinges covered with house wrap then the lexan covers most of the hinge then 7" ice dam tape bloused loosely over all. The final barrier is cut from rubber maid brand rubber shelf liner. It is formed over a section of 1/2 pvc. This hump diverts water during a rain storm to the dog eared edges where it drains to the ground by capilary action following the dog ears and not down the side of the trailer. I have had the hatch up in a worm drownding rain storm. The galley area was protected by our 10 x 10 popup and even with the water draining off of the popup onto the tear roof there was no water intrusion into the galley.

This was the set up for our 09 spring gathering. With rains forcasted we sat the pop up over the galley to be able to cook during the bad weather

This picture shows how the galley hatch lid tucks neatly into the tapered top of the pop up.

P.S. The pop up up was ratchet strapped by its frame under the trailer belly and the other side was strapped to a 70 pound picnic table and faired well with all side panels in place.

A few did not
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby grizz » Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 am

Cool stuff, I need to go look at your build thread and see what all magic you made there Bobhenry.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion