Hatch sealing--right & left

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hatch sealing--right & left

Postby jmmmn » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:59 pm

Hi all!

I'm just about ready to skin my teardrop with 1/8 ply then .40 aluminum. I have a question about the way the hatch will seal over the edges of the sides. Since my tear is 60" wide, the framed hatch is approximately 58" wide (leaving 1 1/2" for the two 3/4" sides plus 1/4" clearance on either side of hatch. When I skin the top of the hatch with ply and aluminum, should I overhang each side so that it comes out flush with the sides of the teardrop? I'm concerned about that seeing that those edges will be only 1/8" ply plus .40 aluminum--won't I crack one or chip it inadvertently later when camping, etc? But unless I overhang, how do I insure a good waterproof seal?--attach an angle molding on the edge of the hatch which overhangs the 3/4" edge of the teardrop? What have you others done. I've done some searching in the forum here, but haven't had much luck. Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Yours,

Jim
jmmmn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fornesto » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:50 pm

I used 1/2" X 1/2" L-moulding bent around the curve. It is very difficult to bend this curve, especially when you're dealing with a little overhang of 1/4" plywood that does not like being beat up with a rubber mallet. I used the dead soft moulding. This left me with an overhang of about 1/4". I applied adhesive 1" wide open cell weatherstripping on the upper portion . I bent 1/2" U-channel around the sidewall curve. The result works well. Remember, when you are driving in the rain, you're overhang will not deter water from going in, but might trap it from going by. Water will be traveling backwards, if not upwards.
fornesto
Donating Member

Hatch sealing

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:59 pm

We use Trim-Lok on the edges of the hatch and the hatch opening;
Look at www.trimlok.com

Postby rjhager » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:14 am

Merlin, that's a *very* interesting site! Which of those trim styles do you use?
:thinking:

Randy
Working on a KuffelCreek Comet.
rjhager
Teardrop Builder

Hatch Seal

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:39 am

Randy we use the Edge seal- top left.
We also use the trim seal on the edge of the hatch
Use the Hatch Seal with the large bulb at the bottom of the hatch opening. That fits tight with the Trim seal around the edge of the hatch lid.
This will be my last post as a part of High Desert Designs, Inc.
Leaving the busness for personel reasons.
Will come back to the group under new name etc.

Merlin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques