"Fred Sanford" build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

"Fred Sanford" build

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Been planning/scrounging/building for a while. Figured I'd make a build journal. I like the idea of making something nice/usable from stuff that others see as junk. I dive in the scrap metal dumpster at work so much that the nicknamed me "Fred Sanford". I always liked Fred anyway, so the name may stick to this first build.

I know that many of you are outstanding artists/craftsman. Some of work I've seen here is simply awe-inspiring, but one of my top favorite builds is the "Stumble Inn" by Eatatjoz. The guy needed a small camper and just "whooped up' one out of scrounged stuff. If I recall, he spent like $200. (awesome in itself and to end up with something serviceable) Though not the most refined looking rig, it serves his purposes perfectly for his camping. I wanted to do the same thing, but with a budget of $1000. So far, I'm only half into the budget.

I'm not real good with pic posting so pics (hopefully) will follow.
Last edited by Woodstramp on Sat May 14, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 3:50 pm

I have a notepad document with pic links (picasa) and comments and get this "Critical Error"...cannot connect.....when I try to post. Lemme try a single pic.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_uYl3 ... before.jpg
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Now the pic shows only as a blue clicky thing. Let me try the IMG button...[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_uYl3CsouMKs/Tc2IyyEVmsI/AAAAAAAAAGI/ZXsaXOsR-KI/s640/Rusty%20axle%20before.jpg

See if that makes the pic show. [/img]
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 3:56 pm

well... that didn't work either....computers are almost has hard to deal with as building teardrops. :)

BTW, I could have blacked in 2 1500 sq. ft. houses in the time it's taken me to half build this camper.

Let's try something else with the IMG button....

Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Well, this should be called "Woodstramp learnes how to post pics on the internet" instead of the "Fred Sanford" :)

That last pic worked...lets cut/paste another chunk of the build...

--------

Old axle from the $20 trailer.

Torsion axle refurbed (Free powder coated wheels, new tires, bearings, brakes checked, new paint. Ready for reassembly and trailer frame.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 4:08 pm

OK...getting the hang of it...

Salvaged frame components and layout.

Nosey Nubian goats. Craftsman, thehe Appaloosa, even wants to know what's going on. TTT's are not just interesting to people. :) He says "Hey don't put the cart before the horse." Sorry, just thought of that. :)

Last edited by Woodstramp on Fri May 13, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Refurbed levelers, mounted, tested.

Prepping the deck for attaching to finished frame. My youngest daughter decided that the undercoating surface needed some artwork. I like it. So, in some years you see a TTT with this lovely charactor underneath....you'll know who did it. :)

The fore deck is more salvaged material (did I say "free"). It's from a construction site and is fine exterior grade plywood. Lams appear to be redwood that are coated in epoxy on one side. It's kind of rough, but I just hammered off concrete bits and recoated in poly and black undercoat.

Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Experimenting with how to build walls. More salavaged (and stretched) plywood. This will be the bases to connect to the frame.

First wall profile. Had to actually buy some lumber :( (luan, spruce shelving, screws, glue, etc.) Also built door frame....window salvaged from old PU camper top....nice slider with a screen. (another freebie!) I'm all about some free usable stuff.....

Close up of test fitted window. (Sweety is going to kill me if she ever reads the caption in this pic.) :)

Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Oh, if you were admiring my great out of doors workshop...that was free too. :) Saw station is on front porch. Wife is not too happy about that, but she's forgiving. Plus, we live in the sticks, so who cares what the neighbors can't see. I just have to remove it all before our eldest gets married in a couple of months.

Yes, I said "married". Weddings aint cheap...so you see why I scrounge. :)

That's all for now. Did buy a small AC to embed in the camper, but that is boring stuff. Thanks for looking.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby eatatjoz » Fri May 13, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm digging it! I've got a few of those frame rails laying around myself :thinking:
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodstramp » Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Fern,
Thanks for the nice words....got one credit card (grudginly...Dave Ramsey fan).

Eatatjoz,

My mentor pops in. :)

As to the rails...they are a pain to deal with (thin and torquey on the long axis) but if you slice fit heavier cross struts (angle iron) into them and are carefull with the welder that will tame the torqueyness. Figured if two of those light 8' rails could support tons in a rack then they'd be a piece of cake for this. Was right. Easy to weld burn through though. I'll try and dig up a close up of the frame.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri May 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Oh great! Now I have the Sanford and Son theme song in my head. :lol:

Like your salvage idea. Finally someone here even more thrifty than me. I like your style. Build not looking at all salvage however. Your going to have to junk it up a bit if you want people to believe it. 8)
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 13, 2011 8:28 pm

I am a great fan of re purposing and will watch your progress. Oh and buy the way you might just not want to say anything about the salvage of your wife :roll:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Yes, I am a big fan especially the comment about salvaging the 'Sweet Wife'. I am curious do you have the '51 Ford truck to go with the build?

Matt
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Sat May 14, 2011 12:06 am

Lookin good so far... and yeah I hear the theme song in my head too lol
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals