Anyone use hatch support springs?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Anyone use hatch support springs?

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:51 am

In the hatch support discussions, I haven't seen much about hatch support springs. Austin Hardware sells several. I was thinking about using them for several reasons. They won't put as much load on the hatch when closed as a gas shock type. and they wouldn't release if a gust of wind raised the hatch like an un-pinned starwheel type would. Clearance wouldn't be as much of an issue either. They come in a 45 and 100 lb rating, some have cables inside to prevent over extending them. So, wise ones what's the down side?

Steve

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:44 pm

This has happened to me more than I care to remember... If you are poking around under the hatch and accidentally bump the spring, it will collapse and the hatch will smack your head or crush a hand if it's in the way... I'd suggest putting 2 on - one each side...
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby JohnF » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:41 pm

Can you point to a part number of catalog page on those hatch springs? Thanks

John
JohnF
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:39 pm

JohnF wrote:Can you point to a part number of catalog page on those hatch springs? Thanks

John

Sure, here goes John.....

http://www.austinhardware.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=117&pf%5Fid=2647&mscssid=931D3GQ5N5G18MD6SHM88XE96JHG9AMC

And...Yeah Dave, that was my introduction to spring hatch supports too. Could always bump into the spring with my head in the hatch or at least a hand :?

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby kurtibm » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:12 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
JohnF wrote:Can you point to a part number of catalog page on those hatch springs? Thanks

John

Sure, here goes John.....

http://www.austinhardware.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=117&pf%5Fid=2647&mscssid=931D3GQ5N5G18MD6SHM88XE96JHG9AMC

And...Yeah Dave, that was my introduction to spring hatch supports too. Could always bump into the spring with my head in the hatch or at least a hand :?

Steve 8)

Do I understand correctly that the hatch supports shown in the link would NOT be suseptible to being released by merely the wind pushing the hatch up some (assuming that the hatch was latched open with the support) - or is this "cable" merely used to prevent over-extension?

Thanks!

kurt
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:09 pm

kurtibm wrote:Do I understand correctly that the hatch supports shown in the link would NOT be suseptible to being released by merely the wind pushing the hatch up some (assuming that the hatch was latched open with the support) - or is this "cable" merely used to prevent over-extension?

Thanks!

kurt

I had a small spring hatch holder years ago on a sailboat. The wind would shake the hatch but it wouldn't close. Looks like with the cable inside the spring, now hatches won't only not accidentaly close, now they won't blow around either.

Wish someone was around that has tried them on a TD

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques