Insurance ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Insurance ?

Postby schreimaster » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:58 am

Getting ready to finish up my teardrop and head to the Keys on Friday. I woundering on where to get it insured, my insurance agent advised me that since it was home made, they could not insure it.

Do people normally insure these, between time and money, it would be a heck of a loss.

Been very tied up in my building, photos will be on there way, been taking them , just not posting them.
Lifes not a problem to be solved, but an adventure to be lived!
User avatar
Teardrop Advisor
Posts: 56
Images: 86
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Cumming, Ga

Postby Leon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:55 pm

I insured mine through State Farm, gave them a printout of all the expenses, and specs and price sheet from SoCal Teardrops. Their 5 x 10 was listed at 10,400 and mine had a lot more work in the galley and exterior, so they didn't have any problem insuring it for $10k. They took pictures of it for the file and a couple days later I had a policy. I think it cost about $45 for a year. Liability is covered by the towing vehicle so if it comes loose going down the highway and hits something, my car policy covers that, but if someone t-bones it and destroys it, the trailer policy will cover that.
User avatar
Silver Donating Member
Posts: 559
Images: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:23 am
Location: So Cal (Ridgecrest)

Postby rampage » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm not positive but I think it can be covered by your homeowners insurance.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
User avatar
Donating Member
Posts: 286
Images: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Florida

Postby cracker39 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:25 pm

I emailed my insurance company with questions on such a policy.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos:
User avatar
3000 Club
3000 Club
Posts: 3069
Images: 233
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Lake Alfred, Florida, USA

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:09 pm

Do a search here. This hs been discussed before. I use USAA and they had no idea what I was talking about so i referred them to the forum and a couple of manufacturers. They researched and got back to me a couple of days later.
User avatar
1000 Club
1000 Club
Posts: 1637
Images: 34
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:48 am
Location: NC, Fayetteville

Postby Bucko6 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:58 pm

A previous post on this thread was correct. Liability is covered by your tow vehicle, I believe that is true for all states. Physical damag insurance (for damage to your trailer) can be obtained from several sources. First, most home owners policies provide some limited physical damage coverage for your trailer. My policy has a limit of $1,000. Not a lot but it takes the edge off. I have a "regular" travel trailer and I purcahsed additional coverage listing that trailer on my auto policy. When you seek coverage, just give them an estimated value and that it is an assembled trailer and most independent insurance agents should be able to assist.

Good luck!
Teardrop Advisor
Posts: 62
Images: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Bettendorf, IA

Postby doug hodder » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:43 pm

I have mine through State Farm, questions I was asked was, does it have an attached propane tank, fixed stove, or water that point it goes from "camper" to "RV" I don't have either, the stove is not fixed, old coleman...I think it just sort of depends on your agent...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug
Posts: 12625
Images: 562
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests