I hate to even ask this????

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

I hate to even ask this????

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:12 pm

It seems that very 4th thread is about the hatch or the galley hinge. I have read so much about the differant hinges used for the galley. I just don't see anyone talk about the WWW.Socalteardrops.com hinge. It seems like and interesting design and it can also be used as a vertical door hinge. It seems like a clean design and all hinges would match. Has anyone used this hinge? Before I order my hinges I thought I'd at least ask.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:24 pm

Woodbutcher
That is a very good hinge but it has one problem and that is that if it gets over extended it will come apart! To prevent that, you need to use either gas lifts or locking latch to prevent the wind from lifting the hatch two high!
:thumbsup:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby dacrazyrn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:56 pm

Rough on the pocketbook
McMaster-Carr has them on page 2846 (cheaper-without holes that is))
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby dacrazyrn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:17 pm

This...
looks like the same as this to me...
but what do I know.
Didn't see SoCal's mention weight. Just trying to give out the options incase is all, cuz I had seen it before.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Re: I hate to even ask this????

Postby kirtsjc » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:20 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:WWW.Socalteardrops.com hinge. IHas anyone used this hinge? Before I order my hinges I thought I'd at least ask.

I ordered a 12" section to have on hand while in my mockup phase. I am very happy with what I am holding in my hand, but limiting it to the galley hatch, or tounge box hinge, i.e., HORIZONTAL only.

The hinge is in three parts, very substantial, and requires 2 endcaps to keep all three part assembled. These endcaps are attached to the "cover" with two allen set screws. Because of the potential for the set screws to vibrate loose, then having the end cap fall out, along with the door, I myself am not going to use the SoCal hinge as my "vertical" door hinges, as much as I would like to.

And I noticed another reply to your query, and I tell you right now that IN MY OPINION that the the SoCal galley hinge is TOO heavy and TOO thick to break as mentioned... Any "hurricane" hinge will break WELL before the SoCal galley hinge, IN MY OPINION.

(Perhaps SoCal could also include a photo of the hinge to show the sturdiness of the hinge? The animation is nice, but a photo is better)

WHOO HOO, its back to the padded cell!!!
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby kirtsjc » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:33 pm

This...

is a poor, sloppy DRAWING of the real hinge. What is shown is not possible! I have a 12" piece right here on my desk, and it will NOT flex back like the drawing shows...

THIS

is a PHOTO of the hinge at it's maximum extension. It does not flex any more than what you see.

If you don't believe me, order a foot of it from SoCal like I did - 12" section with one endcap - and you will see the sturdyness of the hinge. I have on-hand samples of "hurricane" hinges from others, and the hurricane's thickness is like paper compared to the SoCal's thickness of, oh, a ream of paper.

I will do destructive testing this weekend (Yes, MadJack, I have to have pictures for this to prove my point) and show the comparisons (not the math, I have to take off my shoes to count over ten).

WHOO HOO WOO WOO! I got away again!!!!

WHOO HOO! Back to the Funny Farm now!
Last edited by kirtsjc on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby dacrazyrn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:40 pm

I have my hinges already and mounted, so not interested in shucking out $20 for nuthin. :D Just trying to assist in referencing other places to look into and IF they would work.
This first picture is from McMaster by the way. and the second is SoCal.
Last edited by dacrazyrn on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:54 am

How about the radical idea of eliminating the hatch /hinge problem all together ????(See Modern TD's ...please comment while you're there...) More room , less expense, no leaks ... gotta' be a "Good Thing" If you're not stuck in Traditional Land... :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

So-Cal Geared Hinge

Postby So-Cal Teardrops » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:24 pm

Hi all. Just to dispell a few rumors. The hinge will not come apart if opened too far. It will open to 180 degrees and stop. It will NOT fall apart.

The ones from McMasterCarr are NOT the same hinges as we sell. Like previously mentioned, the ones from McMaster and others vendors have slots cut in them for the bearings. They WILL leak. Ours are extruded specifically for us, and don't have the slots.

We have done some destructive testing, and the screws will break or pull from the parent material WAY before the hinge will even think about failing. Some might call it overkill, but we don't like things that will break :)

Here are a few pics of the hinge that a customer has used on a galley hatch.

So-Cal Teardrops
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:30 pm

WOW! Opinions on this subject are like asking someone their political views. As a new guy this seems to be a real important part of the success of the whole project. The So-cal hinge looks so interesting. The last customer pic. shows the hinge being attached in between the hatch and the trailer roof. Not flat on top as the Hurricane hinge. This looks cleaner and without the screws exposed I was thinking it would be more water tight. As for the price, I know it's more $$$ but given the cost of the whole project not enough to scare me off. I was hoping to find someone out there that has been using it, to give a working opinion. I got no beefs with the Hurricane Hinge it seems like most people are happy with it, just wanted to look at everything before. Thanks to all for their answers.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:52 pm

The So-cal hinge does looks interesting! It looks as if it has a rubber insert in the hinge. It also looks to be much heaver than the ones I have used in the past. If you are looking for a clean looking hatch that is the one to use! I still would use the gas lifts to help protect the investment! :thumbsup:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Gage » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:27 pm

That's the hinge I want on my next teardrop (I didn't say that). Say Gabe, I looked at your parts counter (web site) and couldn't find it. Do you sale it as a loose part or do I have to buy one of your tears to get one. ;)

Have a good day.

:thinking:
I've got to get over the hill and visit you guys. I've had a lot of people email me asking about your teardrops.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Thanx for the post Gabe

Postby Guy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:39 pm

Dear Gabe,

Thank you veryu much for that post. You are quite right all geared hinges are not created equal. I have had success in the past with Pemko Manufacturing. Their geared hinges are superb too. However, buying from a teardropper is preferable to McMaster-Carr. Do you also have access to other styles of geared hinges for use in parts of a teardrop. Their weight bearing is superior to any other.

BTW, http://www.pemko.com
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chris C » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:45 pm

Gage wrote:That's the hinge I want on my next teardrop (I didn't say that). Say Gabe, I looked at your parts counter (web site) and couldn't find it. Do you sale it as a loose part or do I have to buy one of your tears to get one. ;)

Have a good day.

:thinking:
I've got to get over the hill and visit you guys. I've had a lot of people email me asking about your teardrops.

Gage, Gage, are ya gettin' blind in your old age? :SG It's the last item on their trim list. :lol: Sounds like your already over the hill!!! :rofl2:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby kirtsjc » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:24 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:The So-cal hinge does looks interesting! It looks as if it has a rubber insert in the hinge. Chuck

The rubber insert you mention is the end cap assembly that keeps the hinge together. A "hurricane" does not have this feature.

(Endorsement disclosure to all: I only own a piece of the SoCal hinge, and I am not an investor, owner or any other manner connected to to SoCal except for being a customer; likewise, SoCal has not in any form paid me to endorse their product.)

I just like the hinge, and I think I have come up with a way for me to use the hinge vertically... Will be banging that about this coming weekend.

WHOO HOO HEE HEE ! Live from the Funny Farm!
:?
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques