Gas struts

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Gas struts

Postby rooster » Fri May 19, 2006 1:47 am

Danny mentioned that he use 120# gas struts for his hatch, one on each side of the hatch. Does that mean it will push up 120 pounds, or is there a formula that is used?

Jim, :?
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Fri May 19, 2006 6:50 am

8)
Here you go Rooster click on this link http://www.mcmaster.com/ and type gas struts in the search box.
emiller
Donating Member

Re: Gas struts

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri May 19, 2006 9:24 am

rooster wrote:Danny mentioned that he use 120# gas struts for his hatch, one on each side of the hatch. Does that mean it will push up 120 pounds, or is there a formula that is used?

Jim, :?

Jim, I wondered the same and came to the conclusion that if there is enough support for that strong of a gas strut it's the easiest way to guess. I have 3" Popular framing on the galley walls so I went for the 120 pounders. When I open the hatch some of the weight is assisted by the struts and it increases as I lift it until I get to about 3/4 of the way open. The struts then really do their work and lift & hold it up very well. I noticed while closing that I'm only compressing the struts about 3/4 + of their capacity when the hatch is shut. 8) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Gas Struts

Postby rooster » Fri May 19, 2006 8:11 pm

Thanks for the information. . . . :thumbsup: :applause:

Jim
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques