A very long hello from Rochester NY

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

A very long hello from Rochester NY

Postby LMarsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:13 am

Hi, I'm Lucas from Rochester NY. I'm going to be building my first teardrop but I have pretty fair construction skills and a lot of tools. Cost right now is a bit of a factor as I'd like to keep it affordable but not crappy looking. I've been doing hours and hours of teardrop research online and came across this forum. I've been ready everything I can find and many of the posts on this site. :thumbsup:

I'm 28, married and unemployed at the moment, but I have a small Ebay business to stay busy. Except now I have a teardrop building itch. My wife is a lab tech at the University of Rochester and will be going to Grad school there starting in the summer for teaching biology. I have multiple degrees, two Associates and a technical certification.

I'm planning on building a Benroy and want it 5' wide but the cheapest trailer I've found is from TCS 5.5'x7' for $550. Its a new trailer apparently. The Red trailer 5x8 is cheaper but with shipping ends up being more. Besides the TCS trailer is fully welded and rates at 2000lbs. So basically I'd prefer to buy a welded trailer locally because shipping always makes the others more. Except I must consider the infamous Harbor freight 4x8. We have two stores locally and I have a 15% off coupon. Makes the total for the light trailer with 8" tires $183.60 after taxes. I guess I've decided to make my 5' wide teardrop on this 4' wide trailer just because of the price and this is my first. I've read two "blogs" I guess they are, about people doing this exact same thing. So we'll see how it goes. Anyone advise against it? I feel I can make it work without too much problem. :twisted:

My next large dilema is the skin. The Rot-Doctor in the plans from Mike Schneider, and used by others, seems good but I priced it out and it was like $200. Rustoleum has some epoxy sealer that is cheaper and would probably work good, but I think I'll just use spar varnish and leave the sides wood. This leaves my roof which for looks I'd like nice shiny aluminum or something white.

As a side note I looked into Structoglas which they sell at the homecenters. I also read the thread on here where its mentioned being used. It comes in 7 colors, smooth and textured finishes but the home centers only carrying the textured, at least in my area. $29.97 for a sheet of white at Lowes. Both types being easy to clean but it is not recommended you turn the textured backwards to get the smooth underside. Which I thought of doing. Also its designed to be a non-adherable surface so painting isn't recommended either. They installed structoglas in the pizza shop I used to work at and it was very durable and easy to clean but grease and dirt did eventually build up in the texture so I'd prefer smooth. But now the problem. It is in fact not UV resistant and the manufacturer says: "Structoglas wall panels are made for interior use ... When the panels are used outdoors, after a period of time they tend to break down and chalk." Maybe you could coat with a UV protector. Not sure the UV protecting wax someone mentioned in the posting would be good enough. If it is someone please let me know but I'll have to look into that.

Anyways so for a skin I guess there is aluminum, filon, epoxy, or PVC. Among other less durable or advisable options I suppose. Like latex or the structoglas. I read a blog where someone used PVC and didn't recommend it because it was hard to get smooth or something. Plus I haven't seen much info on it. I thought the highend epoxy was pricey and maybe won't look as good as some of the other materials. Although I haven't seen a homemade teardrop in person. I'm guessing filon is expensive too and I havent found any prices on it yet. If I can find a local aluminum supplier I want to use one large sheet for my roof and leave the sides a nice stained and sealed birch.

So my question is where do I find the aluminum? I've seen the suggestions in this forum, most or all being in WA, OR, or CA I think. We New Yorkers must be boring and when using the internet for info I often find stuff from other states. So I'd like to ask where to begin searching for the aluminum. Whats its called and whats its used for? Roofing applications? Should I search for metal fabrication in the phone book or call some welding supply stores? Maybe industirial building supply? Does anyone have some experience mail ordering the aluminum and whats the price? I'm willing to pay to make my TD nice but not sure at this point if I want to shell out $500 whampa for it.

A couple more questions. What is a hurricane hinge? Does it have springy characteristics so you don't have to use those air supports like in a car hatchback? And does anyone know where to get a pre-fab door small enough to work in a Benroy and to fit nicely with the 3/4" plywood? I've seen plans on Ebay using them but I don't want to spend $30 for plans to find out where they bought the doors.

Many many thanks in advance for any information and hopefully I can pick peoples brains for more. :worship: Thanks

Lucas
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:00 am

Image to the playground Lucas.

1..Don't get the 8" wheels. Unless you build real small you will end having to buy some that will carry more weight @$40+ each.

2..Definitely don't use the panels. They don't stand up to extremes in cold either. Try instead the Filon or FRP . You want any panel to be UV resistant and not oil can in the heat.

Have fun planning and make sawdust cause you can do the roof when the time comes. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby toypusher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:36 am

Lucas,

Welcome to the board!!

You might consider driving down to Quakertown to pickup a Red trailer and save on the shipping!! Of course you would need a pickup or trailer to haul it on.

You can look for aluminum at places that sell steel or look for a place that does tractor trailer (trailer) repair. Also, you could try places that make custome duct work or similar products.

Info on hurricane hinge and other hinges for your hatch, try: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11210

As far as premade doors, try here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=22224
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby LMarsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks for the information!

I actually browsed both those posts eariler but I'll re-read them closer and check out the links more too.

Also I did see a custom duct work ad in the yellow pages so I'll try giving them a call and search for some tractor trailer places too.

Thanks
Lucas
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Kens » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Welcome. TSC 4x8 bare trailer is a good bet. Build over the wheels thats what I did also has larger wheels.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby LMarsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi, yeah I agree its a much better trailer and at $299.99 its only about $100 more after taxes including my HF 15% coupon. I looked at one of the TSC trailers yesterday and almost bought it on the spot, but figured I'd better add up all my options.

I checked out your gallery of pictures and your TD looks great! You incorporated the fenders into the sides really well and it has a nice clean look. It think I'll try that too and even if the wheel wells are partly on the inside most of our sleeping space will still be 5'. And the best part is I was worried about going above the fenders and have it 9" taller! I'll deffinitely re-plan it the way you did it. How did you seal it to the fenders and do you have any other photos I could check out?

Thanks
Lucas
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:12 pm

I picked up a 5 X 8 trailer from Northern Tool for $299. It's normal price was $329 I think. It's not listed on their web site and only available through their stores.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby OrionAZ » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Welcome from someone born and raised in Rochester but moved to where the sun shines and it doesnt snow. I too have been bitten by the bug. I built our trailer about two years ago and we have pulled it coast to coast. Don't build cheep, build smart. This is an investment that can last years to come. If you have to slow down to save for the next part, that ok, you want it to last. :thumbsup:
OrionAZ
Teardrop Builder

Postby MrBuzz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Lucas;
Welcome to the forum. You'll get a lot of good ideas here. My TD has Structoglass for the roof and ceiling. The textured finish really looks nice and hasn't been hard to keep clean and shiny...however...I don't know why they say you can't paint it!! I got some latex paint on it and had to scrap that off. I can't imagine how much better it would have stuck if I had actually cleaned and prepared the surface...and maybe used an enamel paint.
Also, I had the same concerns about the UV resistence. Since it is stored indoors for most of it's life UV protection shouldn't be problem. But just in case I'm going to wax it a couple times a season with a UV resistent car wax.
About the trailer...you will find a lot of people on this site have used 4X8 trailers to build 5-footers. If/when I build one that wide that's what I would use.
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby LMarsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Yeah I've checked the Northern Tool trailers as well. They have free shipping but to go pick up the one you mentioned would cost a lot in gas, over $100 I'm sure, making it the just about the same as ordering one. The closest store is in Richmond and I'm in Rochester NY. I would like to have an actual 5x8 trailer but it always ends up working out to almost twice the price of a 4x8.

I did check out kens gallery: http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=1363 who made a nice 5x8' floored TD on a 4x8' trailer.

OrionAZ I know what you mean about building smart and maybe I should skip the plan of using a 4x8 with a 5x8 floor on it. So then my options are TSC locally 5'5"x7' at $550, Red trailer a 5x8' for $565 or $605 depending on if I can get it shipped to a non residential address or a Northern tool trailer 5x8' $479 with free shipping. HF is $183 for 8" tires and $230 for the heavier duty one with 12" tires and TSC $300 for a welded 4x8 rated at 2000lbs.

I'm all over the place on this but maybe it would be best to pay the extra and mail order an actual 5x8' from NT rather than messing with building it on a 4x8'. I wish 4' was enough room to sleep but I know it won't be and I don't want to be miserable. We took a 8000 mile road trip a few summers ago and did it all tent camping. With a KING sized air mattress. We never knew where we were going to stay and found camp grounds each day and just went where ever we felt like going. It was great but after 3 1/2 weeks of setting up the tent and everything with it I want a teardrop trailer!

Good job on getting out of rochester too Orion, the weather this time of year is cloudy, wet, and 40 degrees for 3 months. I can't wait for mid June so spring will be here! 8)
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Lou Park » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Lucas,
Go back to your Harbor Freight and ask about their 5x8. Right now it's $599, but when it goes on sale it's $499. Use your 15% off and your down to $424. Not bad for a 5x8.
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Postby LMarsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:46 pm

Wait, HF has a 5x8??

Its not on the web page and I didn't see it in the store. I'll call and ask about it tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know, but I'm not sure if they have a 5x8'....
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Lou Park » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:57 pm

I just checked thier website. It is on sale for $499. Print it out before you go. Also, you may have to go to order it and go again to pick it up.
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Postby LMarsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:22 pm

I found the trailer on the webpage, not sure how I missed it before. The only problem is the coupons are only good on instore merchandise. So there goes saving my $75 unless I ask real nice and they give me the discount anyways...
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby Lou Park » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:26 am

LMarsh wrote:I found the trailer on the webpage, not sure how I missed it before. The only problem is the coupons are only good on instore merchandise. So there goes saving my $75 unless I ask real nice and they give me the discount anyways...

As I said before, print the sale ad, take it to the store and they will order it for you.
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves