10' Standie Foamie ... on hold

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 20, 2011 6:16 am

oh ok, i know what you are talking about now. thanks.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 20, 2011 7:36 am

Eagle , and then there's Lightweight spackle ... you can always tell cause' the container feels empty ... Good stuff too ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 21, 2011 8:21 am

Got the first side canvased up this morning. Interesting stuff.

First of all the canvas had a big seam down the middle. So we ended up cutting the stuff in half and throwing the seam away. That required us to butt joint the canvas while we were gluing it up. The 2nd layer will cover the butt joint (but create a new joint)

Secondly, we used about 3/4 of a gallon glue just gluing the canvas down to the side.

I left the overhang at least 2" so that when the roof is glued on, I can glue the overhang to the roof!

Right now the canvas is in the sun, drying.

Mike...

P.S. When do I apply the thinned out glue to the canvas? After the first layer, or after the 2nd layer? or after each layer?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat May 21, 2011 8:42 am

Mike that's really coming along Nicely 8) The addition of the diluted T2 seems to be an option ... Eagle coated hers before priming , I just primed over the canvas directly ... I believe as Eagle put it , the diluted T2 requires less primer later ("sizing" the fabric)... mine really soaked in ... But I still used a gallon of primer like she did , but mine is much smaller (standard TD size) :roll:
It does seem to take a lot of glue ... 2 gals. down here, ready to crack open the third to finish the interior... should have lots left over.... for the next build ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 21, 2011 4:52 pm

I wanted to get a quick and dirty look at how this design would be in real life.

So we dry fit the sides to the sub floor.

As you can see, the porta potty fits!

But the foam attached to the subfloor is not a real strong joint. We are thinking that skinning the inside with wood would help the connection between the wall and the subfloor.

Mike...

P.S. And yes, we still have to cut out the wheelwells...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 21, 2011 5:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:

Just for fun, I weighed the wall prior to putting on the canvas and again after...

Here are the results...

Before canvas = 14.2 pounds

After canvas = 20.0 pounds

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat May 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Don't you just Love being able to pick up walls by yourself !!! When I used the 3/4" ply , I just Had to have Help !!!
It's so BIG too... makes Chell look Tiny in that pic ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chamas » Sat May 21, 2011 8:46 pm

ok just have to say as you can see in the pic above that I am still not convinced that I am all for this foamy stuff. I am not against it either my vote is still out. It is easy to work with but it still takes 2 to hang the side. I have been busting my bu** and my feet to help and I sure hope it is worth it. I have to see once we get more going if I am in or out. It is a fun project I must say. I can hold up the whole side as Mike screws it into the subfloor. We will keep you posted. I just had to put in my 2 cents. I usually am a silent listener but thought I would speak up on this one. Girls if you want to help your hubby this is the one to work on. Easy and doesn't weigh a ton!!!

Have a good weekend, boy was it nice here!!!!

Hope to get more done tomorrow....
This is Chell's appraisal formed in my mind about this particular matter. :-) Chell of www.tnttt.com formally www.mikenchell.com
chamas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat May 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi Chell,

I've been keeping an eye on the foamy threads, 8) I value your input and will be interested to see what you have to say as the build progresses. Thanks for posting.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Kinda nice on not Having to decide where the door is going to be yet :roll: - just cut in later :thumbsup: It also opens up the possibility of more door shapes :twisted:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Sun May 22, 2011 7:26 am

Chell, your B&F busting is Most appreciated by us All !!! Mike too I'm sure !!! :D

When I built my First TD (wood) , I had to hire someone to help ... :o Pricy overall ... The Foamie' , I did all by myself ... Well, just had help moving the ply floor outside ... That was HEAVY !!!!
And although the foamies are yet "uncharted territory" , I'm sure with the creativity and expertise of the forum members , this will prove in time to be a valuable way of making a small light/thrifty (ROT resistant) TD trailer ..

And with the ease of construction , we can afford to experiment and build several trailers ... something I've become addicted to ... :o

Steve, what's your "take" on all of this ???/ Curious???

S2... yeah really , just put it where you want to ..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 22, 2011 8:33 am

:thinking: Mike I wonder if you couldn't give the sides more support by putting a groove so that the side sits partially on the sub-floor. Might need to set the sub-floor our a bit more to get the look!

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bve » Sun May 22, 2011 9:51 am

Miriam C. wrote::thinking: Mike I wonder if you couldn't give the sides more support by putting a groove so that the side sits partially on the sub-floor.

That's what I was thinking too, 'router' a 1/4" or 1/2" deep channel into the walls.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I have a thought here...

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 675#829675

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Juneaudave » Sun May 22, 2011 1:45 pm

mikeschn wrote:I have a thought here...

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 675#829675

Mike...

Is there no end to the creativity?
:thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies