Material Weights

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Material Weights

Postby dh » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:15 pm

I've been looking up and down the sight (MadJack, please hit the search with the BFH again) and do not see a compilation of material weights. I remember the hardware store back home had a chart that listed the aprox weight of the lumber products it sold. They had it for a loading reference, and wouldn't let you haul off more than your truck could handle. I'm trying to get as close of an estimate as I can to the weight of my TD before I build.

Does anybody out there have such a chart?
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Nope

But easy enough to find one

http://www.csgnetwork.com/lumberweight.html
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 am

There used to be one on the forum but I can't find it anymore. For a quick estimate, this chart seems to run pretty true to life:

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... c&start=45
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:40 am

The Kaykraft Kampster, one of the vintage 1936 teardrop builds from steel and 3/4 ply, complete galley, ice box, etc... only weighed a claimed 650 lbs., but that's before your gear. EasyUp folding canopies can weigh over 50 lbs. Water weighs approx 8.34 lbs per gallon...

Another interesting factoid that plywood boatbuilders like to remind us of is that pound for pound, plywood is stronger than steel.

My 4' X 4' X 9' steel and plywood teardrop will weigh under 500 lbs empty, but I will be adding much lightness as part of the build. Adding lightness is quite labor intensive; I expect it to be a lot of work.

:pipe:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Over twelve hours later I can see that perhaps my post ^ wasn't that helpful as it relates to the thread topic's actual question... but it was late, I was tired and I tried.

:lol:

I'd be curious myself to see the differences in weight, say, between 4 X 8 sheets of a 13-layer, 3/4" Baltic birch and some other exterior, quality ply... and the actual differences in weight between fiberglass sheet and .030 aluminum sheet...

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Chris; .045 fibreglass which is sold in a roll is 5 oz/sq. ft. ; .032 Aluminum is 7.16 oz/sq.ft.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Ageless

Chris; .045 fibreglass which is sold in a roll is 5 oz/sq. ft. ; .032 Aluminum is 7.16 oz/sq.ft.

Image!

Thank you... :-)~

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion